Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com> on 2021/06/29 19:10:10 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Vendored gRPC 1.36.0 0.2 Release

I noticed that at some point in time we broke support for epoll (and unix
domain sockets) by not relocating and renaming the linux-x86_64 variant.

I filed BEAM-12547[1] and was able to fix the shading to include the
correctly renamed epoll JNI library[2]. I was looking to perform a vendored
gRPC 1.36.0 release and follow-up by fixing our existing test to catch the
breakage by requiring ManagedChannelFactoryTest to run if the architecture
is Linux instead of when Epoll is available[3].

Any concerns on the release?

1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-12547
2: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/15091
3:
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/5fffad689e3fa7b6f788f3037a02fb215c1864ec/sdks/java/fn-execution/src/test/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/fn/channel/ManagedChannelFactoryTest.java#L48

Re: [PROPOSAL] Vendored gRPC 1.36.0 0.2 Release

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.
Great. Will start the release process now.

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.
Thanks. I don't have any other items.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:01 AM Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 I just merged Tomo's security fix so this should be ready to go
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 12:26 AM Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds good, will wait for you PR.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:35 PM Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-12422 "Vendored
> gRPC 1.36.0 is using a log4j version with security issues".

> using Linux to catch the breakage in the future.

> can run tests locally on platforms that do not support epoll. Will the
> change in shaded deps preserve this?

> unix domain sockets) by not relocating and renaming the linux-x86_64
> variant.

> correctly renamed epoll JNI library[2]. I was looking to perform a vendored
> gRPC 1.36.0 release and follow-up by fixing our existing test to catch the
> breakage by requiring ManagedChannelFactoryTest to run if the architecture
> is Linux instead of when Epoll is available[3].

> https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/5fffad689e3fa7b6f788f3037a02fb215c1864ec/sdks/java/fn-execution/src/test/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/fn/channel/ManagedChannelFactoryTest.java#L48
> >>

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Tomo

Tomo

Re: [PROPOSAL] Vendored gRPC 1.36.0 0.2 Release

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.