Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mike Squire <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/14 19:22:44 UTC

Which version of Solr to use?

Hi,

I've successfully downloaded and deployed 1.4.1, which is fine except it
doesn't support the spatial search stuff. I tried installing LocalSolr but
came to a bit of an impasse when it appeared to index stuff but didn't
return any results (and then I saw the last commit to the LocalSolr
repository was Dec last year so decided that was probably out-of-date
anyway).

So, if I want the spatial search support it appears there are 2 candidates.
Either the 1.5 or the 3.1 branch and my question is, which one is best for
me to use? I guess the answer to this question is driven by how up-to-date
(with respect the spatial search stuff) and stable 1.5 is (I notice the last
commit is a little over 6 months ago) and how close to stable the 3.1 branch
is.

This is ultimately for a production system so I'm not too keen on "winging"
it with an unstable version, but I'd really like to take advantage of the
spatial search stuff if possible.

As an ancillary question, does anyone know how stable the 3.1 branch is and
how close the dev team feel they are to a release? I guess "it's done when
it's done" but a general idea would be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Re: Which version of Solr to use?

Posted by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org>.
On 14.10.2010, at 20:46, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks Yonik!  So I gather that the 1.5 branch has essentially been
>> abandoned, we can pretend it doesn't exist at all, it's been entirely
>> superceded by the 3.x branch, with the changes made just for the purposes of
>> syncronizing versions with lucene.
>
> Right.  Everything marked as 1.5 in the past is in 3.1-dev and 4.0-dev.
>
> 1.5 was always just a place-holder for the "next" release, which could
> have been 2.0 if we had upgraded Lucene and changed enough stuff in
> Solr.  So even before the Lucene/Solr merge, a 1.5 release was never
> really guaranteed.

thx for those clarifications.
is there also a rough timeline for when we can expect 3.1 (or 4.0)?

also .. all the information you should provided should probably be on http://lucene.apache.org/solr/#news

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org

Re: Which version of Solr to use?

Posted by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org>.
On 14.10.2010, at 21:02, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Mike Squire <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As pointed out before it would be useful to have some kind of
>> documented road map for development, and some kind of indication of
>> how close certain versions are to release.
>
> Such things have proven to be very unreliable in the past, due to the
> volunteer nature of open source.  It would also require everyone
> agreeing up-front - which rarely happens ;-)

well no information imho is worse. you can also just say the current state of discussion is X, some think however its Y. but no information means users are essentially without any information about the future.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org

Re: Which version of Solr to use?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Mike Squire <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As pointed out before it would be useful to have some kind of
> documented road map for development, and some kind of indication of
> how close certain versions are to release.

Such things have proven to be very unreliable in the past, due to the
volunteer nature of open source.  It would also require everyone
agreeing up-front - which rarely happens ;-)

Specifically for 3.1, everyone seems to want to do a release, and we
have plenty of new features to support that.  I expect it's close, but
the work still needs to be done.

Anyway, our new split branch_3x / trunk development model *should*
allow for more frequent releases in the future, once we get things
rolling.

Side note: I would submit that those projects that release every few weeks
add no additional value over our (currently) infrequent releases.  Due
to our high quality test suites and peer reviewed patches, I'd bet the
stability of our nightly snapshots over some of those other projects
any day!

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Which version of Solr to use?

Posted by Mike Squire <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you all for your quick response. Just to clarify I take it for
my particular problem (taking advantage of the spatial search
functionality) my best option is 3.1 and that should be reasonably
stable?

As pointed out before it would be useful to have some kind of
documented road map for development, and some kind of indication of
how close certain versions are to release.

Cheers,
Mike.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
> the current confusing list of branches is a result of the merge of the lucene and solr svn repositories. what baffpes me is that so far the countless plea's for at least a rough roadmap or even just explanation for why so many branches are needed

There is one branch users need  to be concerned about: branch_3x
All 3.x releases will be made from that branch.

trunk (which is technically not a branch) is 4.0

Posted by Lukas Kahwe Smith <ml...@pooteeweet.org>.
On 14.10.2010, at 19:50, Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu> wrote:

> I'm kind of confused about Solr development plans in general, highlighted by this thread.
>
> I think 1.4.1 is the latest officially stable release, yes?
>
> Why is there both a 1.5 and a 3.x, anyway?  Not to mention a 4.x?  Which of these will end up being a stable release? Both? From which will come the next stable release?

the current confusing list of branches is a result of the merge of the lucene and solr svn repositories. what baffpes me is that so far the countless plea's for at least a rough roadmap or even just explanation for why so many branches are needed have gone essentially unheard. given that most of the features planned for the next branches already exist in elasticsearch, i am thinking i need to allocate time to switch over to there.

regards
Lukas

Re: Which version of Solr to use?

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.