Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by "Weiss, Ken" <Ke...@schwab.com> on 2003/03/20 21:46:45 UTC

problem with cookie domains and mod_proxy, Apache 1.3.27

I have configured Apache 1.3.27 to operate as a reverse proxy. My proxy runs
on proxybox.schwab.com. I have a content server sitting behind it,
content.schwab.com. I can access the following URL, and it works perfectly:

http://proxybox.schwab.com/content <http://proxybox.schwab.com/content>

I get the content that is sitting on content.schwab.com. So all the reverse
proxy stuff is working fine.

Here's my problem. I use a cookie to authenticate people to
proxybox.schwab.com. This cookie has a domain of .proxybox.schwab.com, so it
should only be presented to that specific host. Web servers running on any
other host should not be able to see this cookie. But, I can see the cookie
on content.schwab.com.

It appears that mod_proxy passes all headers, including cookies with very
restrictive domains, to the content servers. Even though the cookie has a
domain set that should prevent it from going to any other servers, it still
gets passed along.

Is there any way to configure mod_proxy so it will stop doing this? Is there
any way to modify mod_proxy to filter a specific cookie from the header
before passing the request to the content server?

--Ken

Ken Weiss                                  ken.weiss@schwab.com

Directory Services                         415-667-1424 (voice)

Charles Schwab & Co.                        415-786-1545 (cell)

SF211MN-10-353                               415-667-1797 (fax)

101 Montgomery St.

San Francisco, CA 94104

WARNING:  All email sent to this address will be received by the Charles
Schwab & Co., Inc. corporate email system and is subject to archival and
review by someone other than the recipient.

Re: problem with cookie domains and mod_proxy, Apache 1.3.27

Posted by Ian Holsman <Ia...@cnet.com>.
I don't think 2.0 has any specific options for not passing specific cookies through.
I'm not sure how easy it would be. Looking at a tcpdump of port80 traffic, it doesn't
look like the request passes the domain back.

I guess the only way would be for the site admin to explitly block a cookie,  but I don't belive
that option exists at the moment, and I can't think of a workaround via rewrite.

Sorry Ken.

ps.. if this is really really big pain for you, we could add a directive to mask cookies
but It would probably end up in the standard 2.0 distribution, not 1.3

--ian

Posted by Mathias Herberts <Ma...@gicm.fr>.

--
--  Informatique du Credit Mutuel  ----  Reseaux et Systemes Distribues
--  32 rue Mirabeau -- Le Relecq-Kerhuon -- 29808 Brest Cedex 9, FRANCE