Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Fitzpatrick, Adrian" <ad...@revenue.ie> on 2015/12/08 18:52:03 UTC

solrconfig.xml - configuration scope

Hi,

This is probably a very basic question that has been asked many times before - apologies in advance if so!

I'm looking to validate whether something I **think** I have observed when using Solr is a known behaviour:

>From my read of the docs etc. it was my understanding that solrconfig.xml was the configuration for a core, and that if I had multiple cores in my Solr server, each would have their own version of that file with their own settings. However, in practice, when working with such a multiple core setup, what I have observed suggests that some (perhaps many?) of the settings within solrconfig.xml can have a system-wide impact. I.e. I change a setting in core A and I see behaviour in other cores B,C which suggests they are obeying the changed value from the core A rather than the setting value from their own copy of solrconfig.xml

So, as I said, main question is this known/expected behaviour, or am I imagining things! If the former, is there any documentation etc. that provides any clarification around how the configuration scope operates?

Thanks,

Adrian

Please note that Revenue cannot guarantee that any personal and sensitive data, sent in plain text via standard email, is fully secure. Customers who choose to use this channel are deemed to have accepted any risk involved. The alternative communication methods offered by Revenue include standard post and the option to use our (encrypted) MyEnquiries service which is available within myAccount and ROS. You can register for either myAccount or ROS on the Revenue website.

Tabhair faoi deara nach f&eacute;idir leis na Coimisin&eacute;ir&iacute; Ioncaim r&aacute;tha&iacute;ocht a thabhairt go bhfuil aon sonra&iacute; pearsanta agus &iacute;ogair a gcuirtear isteach i ngn&aacute;th-th&eacute;acs tr&iacute; r-phost caighde&aacute;nach go huile is go hioml&aacute;n sl&aacute;n. Meastar go nglacann custaim&eacute;ir&iacute; a &uacute;s&aacute;ideann an cain&eacute;al seo le haon riosca bainteach. I measc na modhanna cumars&aacute;ide eile at&aacute; ag na Coimisin&eacute;ir&iacute; n&aacute; post caighde&aacute;nach agus an rogha &aacute;r seirbh&iacute;s (criptithe) M'Fhiosruithe a &uacute;s&aacute;id, t&aacute; s&iacute; ar f&aacute;il laistigh de MoCh&uacute;rsa&iacute; agus ROS. Is f&eacute;idir leat cl&aacute;r&uacute; le haghaidh ceachtar MoCh&uacute;rsa&iacute; n&oacute; ROS ar shu&iacute;omh gr&eacute;as&aacute;in na gCoimisin&eacute;ir&iacute;.

RE: solrconfig.xml - configuration scope

Posted by "Cario, Elaine" <El...@wolterskluwer.com>.
I know this is an old post, but I've seen the same behavior as well, specifically in setting invariants.  We had 2 cores with different schema/solrconfig, but they both had a (differently configured) request handler named /search.  The invariants set in one core leached into requests for the other core.  I never drilled down further to see if it was because of the matching request handler names, we just worked around the issue in some other way (which was a bit of a hack and we're working on a better solution for the original problem we were trying solve, in any case).  This was with 4.10.

What specifically are you seeing? Most things are per-core as you surmised.

There are a few things which, through interaction with Lucene global variables affect multiple cores, the one that comes to mind is maxBooleanClauses, where the value in the last core loaded "wins".

There might be some others though, that's the one that I remember.

What version of Solr are you running?

Best,
Erick

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.