Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dola Woolfe <do...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/18 19:27:09 UTC

Jsp mode in Emacs

Hi,

I'm evaluating a number of different ide's for jsp
approaches include Emacs + Ant. How do I make Emacs
"recognize" the jsp format? If you have an answer, can
you please give all the details (where to get what and
to put where)?

Thanks!

Dola

Re: Jsp mode in Emacs

Posted by Nic Daniau <ni...@googlemail.com>.
If all you need is a powefull text editor and not some IDE that supposedly
guide you in developping your JSPs, then I can only say good things about
Textpad (minimal investment, highly customisable, powerful, and a lot easier
to get used to than Emacs -- which I've used too). I use Texpad with ant for
all my servlet/jsp developments and it's brilliant (until the day SciTE will
match it, but it's not there yet). If you know your J2EE specs and your
frameworks, that's all you need I believe to develop on the servlet
container side. I've always found this stuggle to make those complex IDEs
work a bit of a loss of time... at the end of the day what matters is the
code you get out of it... Maybe for EJBs and webservices that makes sense,
but for servlet/jsp development?...
HTH
Nic