Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/06/17 06:02:43 UTC

Fwd: Apache License - question about displaying the Apache license

Not Ack'd

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
Hi Gero

I am very sorry but sadly the Apache Software Foundation is not able to
give legal advice.

The Apache License, 2.0 is widely used and discussed. Please read the
license carefully, read a book on the subject, research using the web or
consult a lawyer.

Regards

Robert

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 00:02 -0400, Ted Husted wrote:
> Not Ack'd

not ack'd

1 traditionally, AIUI we've refused to answer specific questions on the
license. IIRC this is due to worries that saying anything may have bad
consequences. the stock response being 'ask a lawyer'.

2 the poster does not give the version of the license so it would be
hard to give a good answer (even if that was wise)

3 the poster does not give the jurisdiction so it would be hard to give
a good answer (even if that was wise)

4 how much do we need to worry about posting messages sent to
human-response to legal-discuss? (in some european jurisdictions,
confidentially is implied)

4a would it be better to handle this by using a private JIRA posting to
the legal committee private list? any issues would be raised in general
terms on this list by committee members but confidentially would be
maintained.

- robert