Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Vijayendra Grampurohit <vi...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/09 15:14:32 UTC

AIRAVATA-345 : plugin for running and monitoring workflows

I was looking into AIRAVATA-345 : plugin for running and monitoring
workflows for GSOC 2013 . I guess ,here the project idea is to develop a
tool or plugin for the browser (like Elasticfox by firefox  for AWS console
 management)  for submitting workflows for execution and  monitoring its
status at the client side .I wanted to know  more about this project . If I
compare this to Elasticfox ,  which provides us a console where in it has
features/options like start , stop , terminate  a virtual machine   ,How
will the plugin for airavat look like. and what kind of features will it be
having?

I wanted to know whether ,are we supposed to come up with ideas for
features  ?

Regrards
Vijayendra

Re: AIRAVATA-345 : plugin for running and monitoring workflows

Posted by Heshan Suriyaarachchi <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vijayendra,

As Suresh as mentioned what you are suggesting is something different to
what is described in AIRAVATA-345. I think you can create a new jira and
provide your suggestions there.

I have gone through your suggestions and what you have done is a
description of features of ElasticFox.
I think you should first run through the tutorial provided in [1] and see
how Airavata can be used to run a job in Amazon EC2. Then you could suggest
how this can be improved to have it as a plugin. Furthermore, we have a
component to do EC2 instance management [2] as well. This does not give the
full set of features exposed by ElasticFox but it will be sufficient for a
Airavata user.

I hope that I answered your questions. Please, don't hesitate to ask
questions if you have any doubts.

[1] -
http://heshans.blogspot.com/2013/04/run-ec2-jobs-with-airavata-part-ii.html
[2] -
http://heshans.blogspot.com/2013/04/run-ec2-jobs-with-airavata-part-i.html

Thanks,
Heshan

Heshan Suriyaarachchi

http://heshans.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/heshan

Re: AIRAVATA-345 : plugin for running and monitoring workflows

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Vijayendra,