Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/26 21:40:53 UTC

Using Visual Studio C++ Express to compile classlib - fails.

I have now tried fiddling with Visual Studio C++ Express (free download
for the time being from Microsoft, which would enable me to participate)
to see if I could build classlib with it under Windows XP, but have
failed so far.

I made some progress however.  Nmake initially complains that it cannot
find an ntwin32.mak which I then put in native-src/win.IA32 as an empty
file.  Then win32.mak was missing - throwing liberal amount of empty
win32.mak files all over made nmake happy, but then the actual compiler
invocation fails:

  [exec] Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
     [exec] Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
     [exec] cd sig
     [exec] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\bin\nmake.exe" /NOLOGO
     [exec] -Ogityb1 -WX -GF -Gs -MD -Zi -Zm400  -D_DLL -D_MT -DWIN32
-D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 -D_WINSOCKAPI_ -DWINVER=0x0400   /IC:\Documents
and Settings\TRA\workspace-harmony\Harmony\deploy\include /IC:\Documents
and Settings\TRA\workspace-harmony\Harmony\deploy\jdk\include /I.
/I..\..\..\modules\luni\src\main\native\include\shared
/I..\..\..\modules\luni\src\main\native\include\windows
-Fo..\..\shared\sig\hysig_copyright.obj ..\..\shared\sig\hysig_copyright.c
     [exec] '-Ogityb1' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
     [exec] operable program or batch file.
     [exec] NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '-Ogityb1' : return code '0x1'
     [exec] Stop.
     [exec] NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
     [exec] Stop.

The question is then where this is defined.  I have worked quite a bit
with gcc but am completely green with this environment.

What would a feasible path be from here?

--
  Thorbjørn

Re: Using Visual Studio C++ Express to compile classlib - fails.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
On 6/26/06, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >I have now tried fiddling with Visual Studio C++ Express (free download
> f>or the time being from Microsoft, which would enable me to participate)
> >to see if I could build classlib with it under Windows XP, but have
> >failed so far.
>
> >I made some progress however.  Nmake initially complains that it cannot
> >find an ntwin32.mak which I then put in native-src/win.IA32 as an empty
> >file.  Then win32.mak was missing - throwing liberal amount of empty
> >win32.mak files all over made nmake happy, but then the actual compiler
> >invocation fails:

You can try downloading and installing the Microsft Platform SDK( free
) which has the NTWin32.Mak and win32.mak files. You could use nmake.exe out
of that distribution too, though it is also included in the compiler
package. This may help....
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

You also need to run the initialization scripts( if you haven't already
) like vcvars32.bat out of your compiler's bin directory and setenv.cmd in
the Platform SDK installation. This should set the necessary variables.

>    [exec] '-Ogityb1' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> >    [exec] operable program or batch file.
> >    [exec] NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '-Ogityb1' : return code '0x1'
> >    [exec] Stop.
> >    [exec] NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> >Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
>  >   [exec] Stop.

Thanks,

   Rana