Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by "Rich Smith (rjsmith2)" <rj...@cisco.com> on 2008/11/12 02:21:19 UTC

FW: Question on Tomcat / webapp support in SCA Java

I know it has been a while since we exchanged information on this
thread, but I wanted to
point out that the scenario we want to support, which is a single
SCADomain in the JVM
supplying services to multiple webapps is similar to a case that Spring
Framework already
supports, which is sharing a parent application context across multiple
webapp application
contexts.

In the Spring case, they have this thing called
SingletonBeanFactoryLocator that, from
any number of webapp application contexts, can locate the back-end
services application
context.  This can be made the parent context of the webapp contexts,
which makes the
back-end context beans available to the webapps.

Here's a link to a web page that describes it:

http://blog.springsource.com/2007/06/11/using-a-shared-parent-applicatio
n-context-in-a-multi-war-spring-application/

It would be really nice if Tuscany could support something similar to
this for SCADomains
to allow multiple wars to reference the same set of SCA components and
services.

I also don't mind at all having to configure Struts to delegate
everything through Spring to do
dependency injection, and I would also not mind having to do this to get
SCA to inject service
references.  This would be better than requiring a modified Tomcat
runtime with "deep SCA
integration", at least for our purposes.

I'm curious if there has been any progress in the area of shared
services in the same JVM as
multiple wars.  If so, can you send me a pointer?

Thanks.

     --Rich

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Rich Smith (rjsmith2)
<rj...@cisco.com> wrote:

<snip>

	I'd be interested if other users have any cases where multiple
webapps would have to access a
	single SCADomain containing back-end services in the same JVM as
the web container.

Yes, it comes up quite often, for example
http://apache.markmail.org/message/ttssxoruzpndkado

I think we will get this sorted out in Tuscany soon now that the SCA JEE
spec is out and we're getting more experience with Tuscanys current
distributed domain approach.

(I'm still thinking about your previous email)

   ...ant

Re: FW: Question on Tomcat / webapp support in SCA Java

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich, thanks for that pointer its interesting to see how they do this.
We're just embarking on a new Tuscany 2.0 code stream which should include
many enhancements and the domain support is one area thats been identified
for improvement, this type of function is something i hope we can do as a
priority.

   ...ant