Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/03/05 22:34:48 UTC

mail archives

Ok people,

I currently messing around with the Tigris Eyebrowse project which I
believe it could be a nice engine for the forrest mail archive. It's
java, velocity driven, built to scale, currently used in almost all
collabnet sites (openoffice, netbeans, jxta and also servlets.com)

I've subscribed to their dev mail list and discussing some architectural
issues I have.

Also, I'm helping David (the project leader and apache committer on
jakarta) to install it on nagoya... we are also talking about the
possibility to 'skin' the archives differently depending on the sites
that host them (this is just a matter using a different velocity
template).

Also, it has a built-in search system based on lucene and appears to be
scaling farely well.

It also has the ability to import existing MBOX files, so we should be
able to have the *entire* xml.apache.org mail archive set in a snap,
once the software is installed.

Onward upward :)

Ah, BTW, in case you guys didn't know, there exist a mail list called

 infrastructure@apache.org

which takes care of all the infrastructure issues within Apache. I'd
love to use Forrest as a testbed and at that point, ask the various
communities for comments.

I must warn you: the infrastructure@apache.org list has veto power if
they consider the implemented systems too resource hungry or difficult
to maintain, scale, fix, control.

So, not only we must implement something with great functionality, but
*must* also stand the Apache standards of quality of service... which
are *very* high, in case you didn't notice.

Ok, guys, let's keep it up, we have tons of work to do.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.