Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Konstantin Knauf <ko...@ververica.com> on 2019/11/24 11:57:18 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Weekly Community Update 2019/47

Dear community,

happy to share this week's weekly community digests with flink-packages.org,
an update on the release of Flink 1.8.3, Flink Forward San Francisco CfP
and a couple of smaller discussions and proposals.

Flink Development
==============

* [ecosystem] Ververica has announced the launch of flink-packages.org. It
is a registry of  Apache Flink ecosystem projects (connecters, metrics
reporters, operational tools, ...) to make it easier to find and promote
these projects in the community. Everyone can add their own projects and
vote on listed projects. [1]

* [releases] Now that the vote for flink-shaded 9.0 has passed [2], I
expect to see a first release candidate for Flink 1.8.3 as well soon [3].

* [releases] The feature freeze for Flink 1.10 was announced for December
8th. The release branch will be cut that date. [4]

* [connectors] As part of Pulsar connector contribution, Yijie Shen has
shared a first design document for the integration of Pulsar's catalog with
Apache Flink [5]

* [sql] Dawid has published a FLIP (FlIP-87) to support primary key
constraints in Apache Flink SQL. Primary Keys (and unique constraints) can
be used for query optimization and primary keys are natural keys for upsert
streams. [6]

* [checkpointing] Shuwen Zhou has started a discussion on a more flexible
configuration checkpointing times (e.g. cron style). [7]

* [webui] Chesnay proposes to remove the old web user interface. It was
replaced by a new implementation in Flink 1.9 and was kept around as a
backup. [8]

[1]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE-Launch-of-flink-packages-org-A-website-to-foster-the-Flink-Ecosystem-tp35091.html
[2]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/VOTE-Release-flink-shaded-9-0-release-candidate-1-tp35146.html
[3]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Releasing-Flink-1-8-3-tp34811.html
[4]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/ANNOUNCE-Feature-freeze-for-Apache-Flink-1-10-0-release-tp35139.html
[5]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LMnABtXn-wQedsmWv8hopvx-B-jbdr8-jHbIiDhdsoE/edit
[6]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Primary-keys-in-Table-API-tp35138.html
[7]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/Cron-style-for-checkpoint-tp35194.html
[8]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Remove-old-WebUI-tp35218.html

Notable Bugs
==========

Nothing worth mentioning came to my attention.

Events, Blog Posts, Misc
===================

* The Call for Presentation for Flink Forward San Francisco is now open.
The conference will happen March 23rd - 25th (two days conference, one day
training). It is the first time that we will have two full conference days
in San Francisco. [9]

* Upcoming Meetups
    * We will have our next Apache Flink Meetup in Munich on November 27th
with talks by *Heiko Udluft & Giuseppe Sirigu*, Airbus, and *Konstantin
Knauf* (on Stateful Functions). [10]
    * There will be an introduction to Apache Flink, use cases and best
practices at the next Uber Engineering meeup in Toronto. If you live in
Toronto, its an excellent opportunity to get started with Flink or to meet
local Flink users. [11]
    * The first meetup of the Apache Flink Meetup Chicago on 5th of
December comes with four talks(!) highlighting different deployment methods
of Apache Flink (AWS EMR, AWS Kinesis Analytics, Verveirca Platform, IBM
Kubernetes). Talks by *Trevor Grant*, *Seth Wiesman*, *Joe Olson* and
*Margarita
Uk*. [12]

[9]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/Flink-Forward-North-America-2020-Call-for-Presentations-open-until-January-12th-2020-tp35187.html
[10] https://www.meetup.com/Apache-Flink-Meetup-Munich/events/266072196/
[11]
https://www.meetup.com/Uber-Engineering-Events-Toronto/events/266264176/
[12]
https://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Apache-Flink-Meetup-CHAF/events/266609828/

Cheers,

Konstantin (@snntrable)

--

Konstantin Knauf | Solutions Architect

+49 160 91394525

Follow us @VervericaData Ververica <https://www.ververica.com/>

Conference

Ververica GmbH
Managing Directors: Timothy Alexander Steinert, Yip Park Tung Jason, Ji
(Tony) Cheng