Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> on 2008/03/02 22:04:34 UTC

I think - Remove Microsoft from Installer Pages

Guys, I think you need to make an explicit note on the installer site...
CANNOT BE COMPILED ON WINDOWS

The problem is the MS tools have moved on... 2003 cannot be found.
There seems to be a massive change on 2005 and up compilers.
Just about everything is deprecated, the headers seemed to have changed alot from linux compilers.
Or more simply... VS is now windows only.

I've being trying from the ant builds and also from VS 2005 directly...
You literally have to rewrite the code...

I see the Sun JVM does also not support development on the MS platform, whether that is strategic or
a technical issue as well, I'm not sure, I think its the former.

I'm not up on all the compilers but from googling, there does not seem to be a compiler that one
can readily use on MS.

If you want to attract developers in this market... you have to show them how to do it, or find an
old MS compiler and stick it on a FTP server or something.

We going to setup a linux dev environment for this, but that immediately reduces my local skills to a
grand total of one ;)
Possibly Cygwin is the way to go... I know that can tie up with netbeans, but I'm not sure about
eclipse.

Its a massive project... if the user cannot get it to their familiar dev environment... it becomes a
1 month excercise to just get going...
The divergence in tools is throwing away a huge developer market... very unfortunate.
Sorry... I just cant figure out a way to get it going... and if we do port it to MS tools, it will
never be compatible again with the CVS.
... snookered ;)

Re: [build][windows] Re: I think - Remove Microsoft from Installer Pages

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Also worth looking at the environment that Dims used to compile on
Windows, using the no-cost MS compiler and tools,

- Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft Macro Assembler 8.0 (MASM) Package (x86)

See [1].  Not sure if he wrote a wiki page / whatever with the final
outcome.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/o4dwghamsbjq46ey

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
There are plenty of places that still sell VS.NET 2003 -
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&hs=XOH&resnum=0&q=visual+studio+2003&um=1&ie=UTF-8