Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org> on 2019/08/21 11:33:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP-55: Introduction of a Table API Java Expression DSL

Hi everyone,

some of you might remember the discussion I started end of March [1]
about introducing a new Java DSL for Table API that is not embedded in a
string.

In particular, it solves the following issues:

- No possibility of deprecating functions

- Missing documentation for users

- Missing auto-completion for users

- Need to port the ExpressionParser from Scala to Java

- Scala symbols are deprecated! A Java DSL can also enable the Scala DSL
one.

Due to shift of priorities, we could not work on it in Flink 1.9 but the
feedback at that time was positive and we should aim for 1.10 to
simplify the API with this change.

We propose the following FLIP-55:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfaaD3j8APJDKwzIT4YsX7QD2huKTB4xlA3vnMUFJmA/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfaaD3j8APJDKwzIT4YsX7QD2huKTB4xlA3vnMUFJmA/edit#heading=h.jn04bfolpim0>

Thanks for any feedback,

Timo

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e6f31d7fa53890b91be0991c2da64556a91ef0fc9ab3ffa889dacc23@%3Cdev.flink.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-55: Introduction of a Table API Java Expression DSL

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your feedback Rong. You are right, we can still have shorter
names if the user feedback demands that. Adding additional shorter
method names is always possible. So let's stick to lit() for now.

I converted the Google document into a wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-55%3A+Introduction+of+a+Table+API+Java+Expression+DSL

I would start a voting thread by tomorrow. If there are no objections.

Thanks,
Timo

Posted by Rong Rong <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.