Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Sagar Mehta <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/11 07:36:24 UTC

State of Art in Hadoop Log aggregation

Hi Guys,

We have fairly decent sized Hadoop cluster of about 200 nodes and was
wondering what is the state of art if I want to aggregate and visualize
Hadoop ecosystem logs, particularly

   1. Tasktracker logs
   2. Datanode logs
   3. Hbase RegionServer logs

One way is to use something like a Flume on each node to aggregate the logs
and then use something like Kibana -
http://www.elasticsearch.org/overview/kibana/ to visualize the logs and
make them searchable.

However I don't want to write another ETL for the hadoop/hbase logs
 themselves. We currently log in to each machine individually to 'tail -F
logs' when there is an hadoop problem on a particular node.

We want a better way to look at the hadoop logs themselves in a centralized
way when there is an issue without having to login to 100 different
machines and was wondering what is the state of are in this regard.

Suggestions/Pointers are very welcome!!

Sagar

Re: State of Art in Hadoop Log aggregation

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Just a clarification: Cloudera Manager is now free for any number of nodes.
Ref:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/products/cloudera-manager.html

-Sandy

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
Sagar,

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
Sagar,

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
Sagar,

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
Sagar,

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: State of Art in Hadoop Log aggregation

Posted by Pradeep Gollakota <pr...@gmail.com>.
There are plenty of log aggregation tools both open source and commercial
off the shelf. Here's some
http://devopsangle.com/2012/04/19/8-splunk-alternatives/

My personal recommendation is LogStash.

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.
I've used Splunk in the past for log aggregation. It's commercial/proprietary, but I think there's a free version.
http://www.splunk.com/

Posted by Pradeep Gollakota <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pradeep Gollakota <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pradeep Gollakota <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.

Posted by "Smith, Joshua D." <Jo...@gd-ais.com>.

Posted by Raymond Tay <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Tay <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Tay <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Tay <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: State of Art in Hadoop Log aggregation

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: State of Art in Hadoop Log aggregation

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz