Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Anonymitaet _ <an...@hotmail.com> on 2021/08/30 00:55:24 UTC

[Workflow] Introduce Bot to Improve Efficiency

Hi Pulsar enthusiasts,

To improve doc workflow efficiency, we want to introduce Bot to Pulsar community.

To make things clear, we’ve written a proposal and recorded a demo.

  *   [Discussion] Introduce Bot to Improve Doc Workflow Efficiency<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bQfZkSu5nG1tNycpmXXtUFn-Z5-h-uqHv6IXsCEySQ8/edit>
  *   [Demo] How Bot Improves Doc Workflow Efficiency<https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1a0erKa2KN81LYR-a5EvBlsaoQA2t9i1Y>

We’d love your feedback! Feel free to comment before EOD Sep 2 GMT+8. Many thanks!

Tao & Anonymitaet

Re: [Workflow] Introduce Bot to Improve Efficiency

Posted by Anonymitaet _ <an...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Enrico, thank you very much for your guidance!

Hi Matteo, for the 1st question, could you please share the procedures?

Hi Tao, for the 2nd question, could you please help answer?

Thank you all~

From: Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 15:22
To: Dev <de...@pulsar.apache.org>, Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>
Cc: "users@pulsar.apache.org" <us...@pulsar.apache.org>, "fengtaotao@bupt.edu.cn" <fe...@bupt.edu.cn>
Subject: Re: [Workflow] Introduce Bot to Improve Efficiency

Il giorno mar 31 ago 2021 alle ore 08:28 Anonymitaet _ <an...@hotmail.com>> ha scritto:
Hi Pulsar enthusiasts,

Thanks for your support!

Since we have reached a consensus, we are considering implementing Bot to Pulsar using GitHub Bot<https://github.com/xuexb/github-bot>. The general steps are as follows:

  1.  Start an HTTP server based on koajs on the server.
  2.  Establish some project specifications (such as pull request format, configure some owners with specified labels, etc.).
  3.  Let the Bot (usually a separate account) automatically handle some things based on GitHub webhooks and GitHub API.

These procedures make us think about the following questions. Can anyone help answer? Thank you very much!

  1.  **Will the Pulsar community provide an email account to the Bot? ** So that we can register the bot with the email address.

But we need the PMC to agree on this, I am not sure about the procedure to follow (@Matteo ?)

  1.
  2.  As instructed by step a), **will the Pulsar community assign some resources (for example, a Linux server) to run the Bot? **
Can this run as a GitHub bot ? Otherwise it will be something that is hard to maintain, btw we can ask Apache INFRA for a simple VM,
I am not sure about Security risks, adding a new machine means adding something to protect and to maintain.

Especially if this machine will have some special permission to act on the repository.

If we could have something like a batch scheduled job that scans the PRs and does the work it would be very easier.
It could run on GH actions or on ASF Jenkins

  1.
  2.  As instructed by step c), the Bot needs some permissions to manage the Pulsar project (for example, it needs access to use “Manage access” and “Webhooks” features in “Settings”), **will the Pulsar community grant those access to the Bot?**

We can do this
But the critical point is to decide where this bot should live.

Enrico

[cid:image001.png@01D79EB8.8F8FB550]
Tao & Anonymitaet

From: Guangning E <eg...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, August 30, 2021 at 15:15
To: "users@pulsar.apache.org<ma...@pulsar.apache.org>" <us...@pulsar.apache.org>>
Cc: Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>>, "dev@pulsar.apache.org<ma...@pulsar.apache.org>" <de...@pulsar.apache.org>>, "fengtaotao@bupt.edu.cn<ma...@bupt.edu.cn>" <fe...@bupt.edu.cn>>

+1

Thanks,
Guangning

Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>> 于2021年8月30日周一 下午3:07写道:
+1
good idea to have a bot, otherwise I see much time wasted by you in always asking the same things.
I appreciate very much your efforts

Probably this document fits well to be listed in the PIPs page, it is not about code but about community/project management
@Matteo Merli<ma...@apache.org> what do you think?

Enrico

回复: [Workflow] Introduce Bot to Improve Efficiency

Posted by 冯涛 <11...@qq.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for your support!

But I have some questions about it. What is a Github bot,(Github app,Github action,or others)?Could you please give me some information for reference?
Thanks

Posted by tao feng <f1...@gmail.com>.

*From: * "Enrico Olivelli"<eo...@gmail.com>;
*Date: * Tue, Aug 31, 2021 03:21 PM
*To: * "Dev"<de...@pulsar.apache.org>; "Matteo Merli"<mm...@apache.org>;
*Cc: * "users@pulsar.apache.org"<us...@pulsar.apache.org>; "冯涛"<
fengtaotao@bupt.edu.cn>;

.

Posted by tao feng <f1...@gmail.com>.

*From: * "Enrico Olivelli"<eo...@gmail.com>;
*Date: * Tue, Aug 31, 2021 03:21 PM
*To: * "Dev"<de...@pulsar.apache.org>; "Matteo Merli"<mm...@apache.org>;
*Cc: * "users@pulsar.apache.org"<us...@pulsar.apache.org>; "冯涛"<
fengtaotao@bupt.edu.cn>;

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anonymitaet _ <an...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Pulsar enthusiasts,

Thanks for your support!

Since we have reached a consensus, we are considering implementing Bot to Pulsar using GitHub Bot<https://github.com/xuexb/github-bot>. The general steps are as follows:

  1.  Start an HTTP server based on koajs on the server.
  2.  Establish some project specifications (such as pull request format, configure some owners with specified labels, etc.).
  3.  Let the Bot (usually a separate account) automatically handle some things based on GitHub webhooks and GitHub API.

These procedures make us think about the following questions. Can anyone help answer? Thank you very much!

  1.  **Will the Pulsar community provide an email account to the Bot? ** So that we can register the bot with the email address.
  2.  As instructed by step a), **will the Pulsar community assign some resources (for example, a Linux server) to run the Bot? **
  3.  As instructed by step c), the Bot needs some permissions to manage the Pulsar project (for example, it needs access to use “Manage access” and “Webhooks” features in “Settings”), **will the Pulsar community grant those access to the Bot?**
[cid:image001.png@01D79E74.73B00770]

Tao & Anonymitaet

Posted by Guangning E <eg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Guangning E <eg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Shivji Kumar Jha <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 at 06:25, Anonymitaet _ <an...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Pulsar enthusiasts,
>

> To improve doc workflow efficiency, we want to introduce Bot to Pulsar
> community.

+1

Regards,
Shiv

Re: [Workflow] Introduce Bot to Improve Efficiency

Posted by Shivji Kumar Jha <sh...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi Pulsar enthusiasts,
>

> To improve doc workflow efficiency, we want to introduce Bot to Pulsar
> community.

+1

Regards,
Shiv

Re: [Workflow] Introduce Bot to Improve Efficiency

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1