Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Rafa Haro <rh...@zaizi.com> on 2013/03/26 17:12:13 UTC

Java Apache Stanbol Client

Dear all,

We have recently released a new version of our Java Apache Stanbol
Client (https://github.com/zaizi/apache-stanbol-client). The project
intention is to ease Apache Stanbol integrators to use Stanbol in their
Java projects. The tool covers almost the full REST API for the
following Stanbol components: Enhancer, ContenHub, EntityHub and Sparql.

If anyone is interested on use it for his own projects, it would be
great for us to have some feedback, suggestions, improvements.....We
also encourage all of you to participate in its development if you find
it useful.

Regards!

--

------------------------------
This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this

Zaizi Ltd is registered in England and Wales with the registration number
6440931. The Registered Office is 222 Westbourne Studios, 242 Acklam Road,
London W10 5JJ, UK.

Re: Java Apache Stanbol Client

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
2013/3/26 Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>:
> I think the client shows that many of the Stanbol API are overly complex.

Great - let's use the client to improve the API :)

> However I don't we should introduce different APIs for external clients
> than for clients within the JVM (i.e. other bundles). We should have easy
> yet powerful api which can have implementation which issue request to a
> remote instance or which are implemented locally.

Okay - having a single API is a goal that we could work on. For me it
looks like the client may be a good opportunity to think about our API
and refactor it when needed.

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Java Apache Stanbol Client

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
I think the client shows that many of the Stanbol API are overly complex.
However I don't we should introduce different APIs for external clients
than for clients within the JVM (i.e. other bundles). We should have easy
yet powerful api which can have implementation which issue request to a
remote instance or which are implemented locally.

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Rüdiger Kurz <r....@alkacon.com>.
Hi Rafa,

Rafa Haro:

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Rafa

Thanks for the clarification on the API. in this case I don't see why
Rupert uses this as an example of something that makes little sense locally.

I'm all for decoupling and exactly because of the decoupling we don't need
separate APIs for the remote proxy and the local API. ServiceAImpl exposes
ServiceA which is exposed via REST and the ServiceAClientImpl exposes the
identical ServiceA.

Obviously there are some client specific classed to get the instance of
ServiceA and server specific methods to get the instance. The point is the
API of ServiceA should be the same. The work on providing the client is a
great opprtunity to review this interfaces, if an API has to be different
on the client than on the server this is a strong evidence that there is
something wrong in the design of the API and that the API isn't decoupled
from the implementation as it should be.

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Rafa Haro <rh...@zaizi.com>.
Hi Reto,

--

------------------------------

Posted by David Riccitelli <da...@insideout.io>.
As a reference, about Stanbol API, 3 months ago (Jan 2013) we had a thread
"Stanbol Front-End API" [1].

[1] http://markmail.org/search/#mid:hnwdw7o6bxt6pwbe

--
David Riccitelli

-- check the Swagger for WordLift <http://bit.ly/VtoM5H>
InsideOut10 s.r.l.
P.IVA: IT-11381771002
Fax: +39 0110708239
---
LinkedIn: http://it.linkedin.com/in/riccitelli
Twitter: ziodave
---
Layar Partner Network<http://www.layar.com/publishing/developers/list/?page=1&country=&city=&keyword=insideout10&lpn=1>

Re: Java Apache Stanbol Client

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Rafa and Rupert,

Posted by Rafa Haro <rh...@zaizi.com>.
Hi Reto,

--

------------------------------

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Reto

Yes I see your mail and principally agree to your points, but IMO this
is something should discuss/decide when we actually work on the
integration (e.g. while working in a branch, but at least before the
first release of the client).

Most likely this will be something that we need to decide from case to
case. While it looks good for the FeaturedSearch and most likely also
for most of the Entityhub API does not necessarily work for other
parts.

e.g. Filter By Confidence

    EnhancementResult eRes =
        client.enhancer().enhance(TEST_URI, "Paris is the capital of France");
    assertTrue(eRes.getEntityAnnotations().size() == 5);
    eRes.filterByConfidence(0.2);
   assertTrue(eRes.getEntityAnnotations().size() == 3);

does for sure make sense on the client, but is not really feasible on
the server side. Also the API wrapper over the EnhancementStructure is
nice to have (or maybe even a must have) for the client side, but
something we do not really need on the server. Event the Enhancer API
does not work so well for a Client because most Clients will not want
to use a ContentItemFactory, create ContentSources ... On the server
this API is present to allow different implementations for ContentItem
(e.g. InMemeory and FileBased). On the client one would most likely
use a simplified version where users only parse an InputStream.

best
Rupert

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Just to add an example:

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rafa,

Posted by Rafa Haro <rh...@zaizi.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

Of course. That was the initial idea :-). I suppose that it needs some
additional testing, customizing....But we wouldn't have any problem in
contributing it. In fact, we are looking forward to!

Cheers,

Rafa Haro

--

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.