Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by tirumal b <ti...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/31 04:19:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Authentication problem

hello,

  i try to use authentication for certain directories.
I want to authenticate /var/www/html directory.
<Directory "/var/www/html">
AllowOverride Authconfig
</Directory>

placed the password file 'users' in ServerRoot dir
created by htpasswd -cm users username1

placed the .htaccess file in /var/www/html with
contents

AuthName "restricted stuff"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/users
require user username1

I get the login window when i try to access the
directory. when i give the valid username and password
it rejects me. what could be the problem

Thank you

tirumal

Re: [users@httpd] Authentication problem

Posted by Frank Biertz <Bi...@MH-Hannover.de>.
Hi,

What are the permission for "  password file 'users' " ?
Is '/var/www/html' the DucomentRoot of the www-server too?

Additionaly (to what you discribed below) I made an Alias in httpd.conf
like
'alias restrited_stuff  /var/www/html'
I did the same job with success by following the
information here :

http://www.apacheweek.com/features/userauth

Hope it helps

Frank

Posted by Jason Michael <ja...@truck.ds.adp.com>.
Check permissions on the users file.  You most likely created it as root,
but the Apache daemon doesn't have root privs...

JLM