Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Paresh Modi <pm...@asite.com> on 2012/04/18 07:17:31 UTC

Solr Core not able access latest data indexed by multiple server.

Hi,

I am using Solr multicore approach in my app. we have two different servers
(ServerA1 and ServerA2) for load balancing, both the server accessing the
same index repository and request will go to any server as per load balance
algorithm.

Problem occurs in following way [Note that both the servers accessing the
same physical location(index)].

- ADD TO INDEX request for File1 go to ServerA1 for core CR1, core CR1
loaded in ServerA1 and indexing done.
- ADD TO INDEX request for File2 go to ServerA2 for core CR1, core CR1
loaded in ServerA2 and indexing done.
- SEARCH request for File2 go to ServerA1, now here core CR1 is already
loaded so it directly access the index but File2 added by ServerA2 is not
found in core loaded by ServerA1.

So this is the problem, File2 indexed by core CR1 loaded in ServerA2 is not
available in core CR1 loaded by ServerA1.

I have searched and found that the solution to this problem is reload the
CORE. when you reload the core, it will have latest indexed data. but
reloading the Core for every request is very heavy and time consuming
process.

Please let me know if anyone has any solution for this.

Waiting for your expert advice.

Thanks
Paresh

Re: Solr Core not able access latest data indexed by multiple server.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I think you're trying to do something that's you shouldn't. The trunk
SolrCloud stuff will address this issue, but for the 3.x code line having
multiple servers opening up a shared index and writing to it will produce
unpredictable results. This is really bad practice.

You'd be far ahead setting up one of these machines as a master,
the other as a slave, and always indexing to the master.

Best
Erick