Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au> on 2002/04/08 13:05:46 UTC

depchecking in CVS head (Re: [VOTE] adopt depchecking system)

Depchecking is now in CVS head. If you have any problems, please let me
know. There were a few conflicts that I had to resolve by hand, and
while I think I got it all right (everything builds), I may have
accidentally rolled back something.

It's possible to revert to the old system with this command:

cvs up -D "4/8/2002 10:31:31 GMT"

--Jeff

Re: depchecking in CVS head (Re: [VOTE] adopt depchecking system)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:25:53PM +1000, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 10:08:23PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:30, Peter Donald wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > theres something I am not understanding. I thought I modified everything
> > > correctly but unfortunately thread no longer builds as it was dependent on
> > > lang that got renamed to threadcontext. Can you point out what I messed up?
> >
> > Note to self; "cvs up -A" works wonders ;)
>
> :)
>
> I'm just doing a sweep through, separating out the junit compiles. All
> working so far, including thread. Will commit soon.

Bah.. recursive deps :/ Will finish tomorrow.

--Jeff

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
threadcontext was not in thread's build classpath. :-/
Fixed this so that I could work.

Cheers,
Leif

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 03:16:50PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > Ant is needed to compile the junit tests, even if you don't intend to
> > run the tests (for that you need junit.jar in your ${ant.home}/lib}). We
> > could break the test compilation into a separate target if you think
> > it's an issue?
> >
> Yes, I think it's an issue, because if I want to build the libraries, I
> don't want test cases to be build as well.

That seems to be the consensus. I'll move junit stuff to a separate
target.

> As I have a vanilla Ant with neiter Xalan nor Xerces in the Classpath,
> I got some errors as Xerces was not found.

Xerces is needed for the o.a.a.e.xml.XercesParser class in all/.

> I corrected "default.properties" and now everything builds well.

default.properties should never need to be edited by users. It's like
editing build.xml. Instead, use ant.properties.

In your case, set the ${avalon-framework.home} variable correctly, and
it'll be able to find xerces, junit.jar and lots of other stuff needed
for the Cocoon-based docs system.

> Congratulations for this great system!

Thanks :)

--Jeff

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Stephen,

>I think the test compilation should be broken out into an optional
>target.  The off-the-shelf build should in principal just build and
>work with the absolute minimum of set-up (i.e. zero intervention).

Agree.  The form is to have the source in src/test anyway, if could very
easily be compiled in a second invocation of javac.

- Paul

RE: depchecking in CVS head (Re: [VOTE] adopt depchecking system)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
+1.

There should be no errors (warnings are okay) when building any part
of avalon using a vanilla (but correctly installed) ant 1.4.1 and
jdk.

While we _could_ add requirments, I would prefer to keep everything
optional if at all possible.

- Leo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Ant is needed to compile the junit tests, even if you don't intend to
> run the tests (for that you need junit.jar in your ${ant.home}/lib}). We
> could break the test compilation into a separate target if you think
> it's an issue?

Yes, I think it's an issue, because if I want to build the libraries, I
don't want test cases to be build as well.
But if I'm the only one complaining, well, putting junit into the classpath
is not that difficult.

As I have a vanilla Ant with neiter Xalan nor Xerces in the Classpath,
I got some errors as Xerces was not found. I corrected "default.properties"

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi,