Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Scott Ostrander <SO...@printronix.com> on 2010/06/02 18:25:34 UTC

RE: Attached Spam Messages

On May 28, 2010 John Hardin wrote:

>> I am having the same issue,
>>
>>In fact, I was going to post the same exact question.
>>
>>We've been having a problem with emails that are completely blank
>> except for an attached .rtf file which is where the spam message is.
>>
>> Is there a way of decoding that file and feeding it to bayes?
>
>It's becoming much more prevalent. I'm seeing lots of 419 and phishing
spams as .txt and .html attachments, more rarely .doc or >.rtf.

>There's the ExtractText plugin, which we touched on in this context on
the list a couple of months back; check teh archives...>

>   http://whatever.frukt.org/spamassassin.text.shtml#ExtractText.pm

In my experience with ExtractText.pm it worked great with SA 3.2.5
I have had issues with using it with SA 3.3.1  The 3.3.1 server is a
completely new server.
Does anybody have SA 3.3.1 and ExtractText working together?

Running spamassassin --lint gives this output:
May  7 10:08:36.339 [7899] warn: plugin: eval failed: Insecure
dependency in eval while running with -T switch at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/ExtractText.pm line 578.

I can run the unrtf, antiword, pdftohtml at the command line with
expected results.
I have verified that the paths are correct in .cf and .pm

Running:
OS        	CentOS 5.5
SA        	3.3.1
unrtf       0.21