Posted to dev@mrunit.apache.org by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> on 2014/06/06 22:51:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] - maintain a single branch

Hi,

Currently we maintain both trunk and trunk-hadoop1 so that we can support
both Hadoop1 and Hadoop2. Given that users are moving towards Hadoop2 and
we have just released, I believe we will have diminishing returns by
maintaining both branches.

I propose we stop maintaining trunk-hadoop1 and move forward on trunk which
supports Hadoop2.

Brock

Re: [DISCUSS] - maintain a single branch

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
I see two points.

1) Only adding features to the hadoop-2 trunk.
I guess most of us would agree on that part.
+1 for me

2) Fixing bugs on the hadoop-1 trunk.

The question I would have here is about versioning. We can't afford to keep
the same version for both but if there is two different current versions
then it should be explicit/obvious for the end user. Dave's proposal seems
logical.

hadoop1 -> 1.1.z : the version 1.1 is fixed and it is only minor bug fixes
so only the z change
hadoop2 -> x.y.z : the real active trunk of the project with bug fixes (z),
new features (y) and major changes (x)

I am afraid that I know hadoop1 clusters that are not likely to be upgraded
soon. It seems a bit harsh to state that the hadoop1 version is not
maintained anymore.

Bertrand

Posted by Dave Beech <db...@apache.org>.
+1