Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/09 10:58:47 UTC

What does swcdepends do?

Hi,

I'm trying to write some conscious description of utilities inside SDK. I
never used swcdepends before. There is *some* command line documentation,
but no explanation of what to do with the program, and I can't understand
from the options what the program does. Can anyone provide an insight to
this?
What I saw it do:
- once you run it w/o arguments it (probably) looks at the SDK path and
prints some information about SWCs found in the SDK, which looks like this:

/library/examined.swc
    /library/containing/classes/examined/library/references.swc

I'm absolutely clueless about how it discovers where is the library that
contains referenced classes and what happens if there are two (this is not
a setting inside SWC).
It also has about 30 command line options, which sound strange in the given
context, such as for example:
-compiler.enable-runtime-design-layers
or
-use-direct-blit
etc...

If I had to make a guess, this utility may be used when generating RSLs for
framework projects - but what does it really do?

Best.

Oleg

Re: What does swcdepends do?

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Technically a swc is a zip with a swf inside. I am sure that some
extract the swf from the swc. Then all the
properties useful for a swf become useful for a swc.

yours
Martin.

Re: What does swcdepends do?

Posted by JP Bader <jp...@zavteq.com>.

--
JP Bader
Principal

RE: What does swcdepends do?

Posted by Darrell Loverin <dl...@adobe.com>.

Re: What does swcdepends do?

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi and thanks for the links, this is somewhat helpful, but it leaves a lot
of questions unanswered. These articles only cover some small subset of all
options available to this utility, below is the full set:

-benchmark
-compiler.accessible
-compiler.actionscript-file-encoding <string>
-compiler.compress
-compiler.context-root <context-path>
-compiler.debug
-compiler.enable-runtime-design-layers
-compiler.extensions.extension [extension] [parameters] [...]
-compiler.external-library-path [path-element] [...]
-compiler.fonts.advanced-anti-aliasing
-compiler.fonts.flash-type
-compiler.fonts.max-glyphs-per-face <string>
-compiler.include-libraries [library] [...]
-compiler.incremental
-compiler.library-path [path-element] [...]
-compiler.locale [locale-element] [...]
-compiler.minimum-supported-version <string>
-compiler.mobile
-compiler.mxml.compatibility-version <version>
-compiler.mxml.minimum-supported-version <string>
-compiler.namespaces.namespace [uri] [manifest] [...]
-compiler.omit-trace-statements
-compiler.optimize
-compiler.preloader <string>
-compiler.report-invalid-styles-as-warnings
-compiler.services <filename>
-compiler.show-actionscript-warnings
-compiler.show-binding-warnings
-compiler.show-invalid-css-property-warnings
-compiler.show-shadowed-device-font-warnings
-compiler.show-unused-type-selector-warnings
-compiler.source-path [path-element] [...]
-compiler.strict
-compiler.theme [filename] [...]
-compiler.use-resource-bundle-metadata
-compiler.verbose-stacktraces
-dependency.minimize-dependency-set
-dependency.show-external-classes
-dependency.show-swcs [swc-name] [...]
-dependency.show-types
-dependency.types [type] [...]
-framework <string>
-help [keyword] [...]
-include-resource-bundles [bundle] [...]
-licenses.license <product> <serial-number>
-load-config <filename>
-metadata.contributor <name>
-metadata.creator <name>
-metadata.date <text>
-metadata.description <text>
-metadata.language <code>
-metadata.localized-description <text> <lang>
-metadata.localized-title <title> <lang>
-metadata.publisher <name>
-metadata.title <text>
-output <filename>
-runtime-shared-libraries [url] [...]
-runtime-shared-library-path [path-element] [rsl-url] [policy-file-url]
[rsl-url] [policy-file-url]
-static-link-runtime-shared-libraries

Re: What does swcdepends do?

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
> Seems like the expectation was that additional compiler args to mxmlc
might someday influence rsl dependencies.
it's hard to believe that those related to metadata may ever influence that.

> The idea is you can substitute swcdepends for mxmlc
mxmlc has twice the list of options (probably even more), so you cannot
really substitute, only to an extent.

> If they are ignored, is there a reason they are there in the
documentation?
Of course there is. Normally, you expect that if you specify an option that
a program doesn't understand, it will signal an error - so that you know
you did something wrong. Sometimes programs keep unused options for
different reasons (backward compatibility, compatibility with other
programs they may share the same alias, future use, synonyms etc.) The
problem is the documentation doesn't say they are ignored, it just copies
them from another help, making it very bizarre (as there's nothing it can
refer to as swf being compiled).
For example:

-metadata.contributor <name>
    alias -contributor
    A contributor's name to store in the SWF metadata (repeatable)

this doesn't make sense, because no SWF will ever be produced by this
program.

Best.

Oleg

Re: What does swcdepends do?

Posted by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com>.
From the doc linked to:

"Compiler API can be added to answer the question of what additional RSLs are needed if a given RSL is loaded."

RE: What does swcdepends do?