Posted to dev@lens.apache.org by "amareshwarisr ." <am...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/07 11:24:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Where is lens with respect to graduation?

Hi all,

Starting this thread to know the current status of lens with respect to
graduation. I'm thinking we should make this discussion leading to one of
the below decisions.

   - Lens is ready to graduate. What are the next steps to take?
   - Lens is not ready to graduate. What are the next steps the community
   wants to focus on for getting ready for graduation?

If you have not already looked at the graduation documents, I would
encourage to go through the docs
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html and
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Graduating+from+the+Incubator,
for making this discussion useful,

After going through the graduation docs, here is what i could gather.

Preparations

   - Complete (and sign off) tasks documented in
   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lens.html
   - Ensure suitable names
   <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#notes-names> for
   project name and product names - DONE
   - Demonstrate ability to create Apache releases
   <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#releases> - DONE
   - Demonstrate community readiness
   <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community> - We have
   questions coming up on dev list and have clarification/usage questions
   coming up on user mailing lists. Though the traffic is not huge on user
   mailing list.
   - Ensure Mentors
   <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor>
    and IPMC
   <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Incubator+Project+Management+Committee+%28PMC%29>
have
   no remaining issues
   <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#notes-issues> - I
   think there are no issues.

What do others think?

Thanks
Amareshwari

RE: [DISCUSS] Where is lens with respect to graduation?

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.
I feel the project is absolutely ready to graduate. And here is why..

* Managed two successful releases and has been very meticulous and thorough with the release process. Much of this is documented at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LENS/Licensing+in+Apache+Lens.
* Very easy for new contributors and users to work with and the dev community is very extremely active
* Conducts regular developer and user meetup to evangelize and grow community
* Communication & discussions happen on the mailing list and jira without any exception
* Project has really good benchmark for preparing quarterly reports (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2015)
* Actively inducts new committers and PMC members

Overall, I feel that project has learnt to do things "The Apache Way" during this incubation process and is mature enough to graduate and function independently.

Regards
Srikanth Sundarrajan

Posted by Sharad Agarwal <sh...@apache.org>.
Thanks for everyone's comment. we are almost there.  I am also expecting
some new contributions and activity in upcoming weeks to help with more
diversity.

I think we should start preparing and start the process in next few weeks.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--