Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Bill Laird <wi...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/24 05:00:46 UTC

RollingFileAppender JRE File.renameTo() bug?

Hi folks. I see there is some chatter in the archives about the
RollingFileAppender failing on the File.renameTo() API. Sun bug parade seems
to indicate that this is a JRE bug. Other posters have mentioned that the
J2EE app servers are keeping file handles open to the log file. We seemingly
 never had a problem with this until we went to windows 2003 sp1 and
possibly  JRE 1.5 and now all of the sudden, were seeing sporadic failures
of the  rename of wfc.log to wfc.log.1 .

 Has anybody been seeing increased incidents of this under JRE 1.5 ? We are
using an older version of log4J. Are there any workarounds in the newer
versions? Here is the sun bug.

 Cheers,
Bill

Re: RollingFileAppender JRE File.renameTo() bug?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <gh...@weycogroup.com>.
On Thursday 23 March 2006 22:00, Bill Laird wrote:
>  Has anybody been seeing increased incidents of this under JRE 1.5 ?
> We are using an older version of log4J. Are there any workarounds in
> the newer versions?

We were already running 1.5.0_06 when we started using log4j on the app
I mentioned in another thread ("roller doesn't roll").  This is on SUSE
Linux 9.3, kernel 2.6.11.