Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Paul ANDERSON <pa...@wataniya-algerie.com> on 2005/04/28 14:05:08 UTC

Parameters to a page instance of a portlet possible with PSML or other mechanism?

I can see how to pass init parameters in portlet.xml, even to multiple
logical named portlets that are configurations of a single portlet
class.

And with a bit of digging I should be able to figure out getting user
preferences for a portlet.

What is not clear to me is whether it's possible to configure a portlet
instance in a way appropriate for the particular page it appears on,
using PSML or any other mechanism, in a way that maps to something
portable like JSR168 portlet init parameters (i.e. keeps my portlet
standard).

I have read that instance level init params are not addressed by JSR168
but maybe Jetspeed has a way that maps to the standard global init
params and adds to them.

Or is there another non-portable way of passing page parameters in that
anyone recommends, e.g. abusing page metadata?

What I want to achieve is to have a portlet with a whole set of jsp's
and tiles, and configure it for each portal page to show different
markup. (Always the same for a particular page, and not related to
request parameters). I don't want to make clicking on the jsp links
change only what appears in the portlet, I want the links to lead to a
new Jetspeed page with a different layout/security/portlets etc and for
the JSP portlet on that page to display different markup as part of the
page. Then this content part will be deployable separately.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Paul

RE: Parameters to a page instance of a portlet possible with PSML or other mechanism?

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.
Paul,

Although perhaps not the neatest solution, the way I get around this
"limitation" is by subclasssing an abstract portlet that I designed to
provide my base functionallity.  Then I configure each them as if they were
instances (even though their behaviour is exactly the same ... except for
their customized init parameters of course).

- Frank