Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/08 17:30:28 UTC

Re: Broker discovery when no brokers exist still returns a connection factory which cannot be used.

You may wish to raise an enhancement request for this. There is currently no
way to block till some broker is discovered.
I imagine the best that could be easily achieved is to have start() block
till a broker is discovered, with some variable determining the length of
the block before an exception is thrown.

At teh moment, there is no high level way get notified when a broker is
discovered

On 5 February 2010 19:58, kjones <kj...@safe.com> wrote:

> I'm using ActiveMQ 5.3.0 with a single broker running as a stand-alone app
> (not
> embedded).
>
> I have a client consumer app with the following code which finds the broker
> through multicast discovery, obtains a connection to it and a session on
> it:
>

> ActiveMQConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new
>

> ActiveMQConnectionFactory("discovery:multicast://default?group=myMessageBroker");
>
> ActiveMQConnection msgBrokerConnection =
> (ActiveMQConnection)connectionFactory.createConnection();
>
> Session msgBrokerSession = msgBrokerConnection.createSession(false,
> Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
>

> When the broker is running, the above code successfully discovers the
> broker,
> gets a connection to it and a session on it.
>
> However, when the broker is not running, the same code still returns an
> ActiveMQConnectionFactory and a connection to a non-existent broker. The
> subsequent attempt to create a session on this connection fails.
>
> I would ideally like to have the ActiveMQConnectionFactory return null or
> throw
> an exception if no brokers are discovered.
>
> Is there a way to determine when no brokers are discovered?
>
> Any thoughts are appreciated.

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com

Re: Broker discovery when no brokers exist still returns a connection factory which cannot be used.

Posted by kjones <kj...@safe.com>.
OK, I've submitted this problem as issue AMQ-2597.