Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by John Evans <jo...@jpevans.com> on 2008/07/22 01:33:57 UTC

Erlang crash on new install of couchdb

Hi All,

I had a nice happy version of couchdb running from the trunk for the past
couple of weeks when we encountered a drive failure at our hosting provider
which required a clean install of the machine.  I was able to restore the
entire couchdb directory unharmed, but the OS was a clean install (of Ubuntu
Hardy), so I had to go through and install all of the dependencies like
Erlang.  Well, after getting everything (I think?) i place, I was getting
this failure:

$ bin/couchdb
{"init terminating in
do_boot",{undef,[{crypto,start,[]},{erl_eval,do_apply,5},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

I then remembered that based on one of the previous issues I asked about on
the mailing list I had previously installed the most recent version of
Erlang instead of using the one installed by Ubuntu's apt-get, so I thought
that may help here and built and installed R12B3 from source.

This didn't help, so I thought there must be some other problem with the
couchdb installation itself, so I blew it away and did a clean build/install
from the same checkout of the trunk that I used before but I am still
getting the same error.

The erl_crash.dump is here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/59147/erl_crash.dump

Any ideas?  Are there tools for interpreting the crash dump?

-
John

Re: Erlang crash on new install of couchdb

Posted by Dan Reverri <re...@gmail.com>.
Looks like cypto is not starting correctly. There was a previous thread
about this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/couchdb-user@incubator.apache.org/msg00471.html

Posted by John Evans <jo...@jpevans.com>.

Posted by John Evans <jo...@jpevans.com>.
This seems to have been the problem -- apparently I didn't apt-get openssl
and didn't heed the warning when Erlang's ./configure script told me that it
would leave out SSL support.  Thanks you both, Noah and Dan.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.