Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2010/06/30 19:47:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] Adding new function to the Tuscany trunk that's not yet ready for release

In Tuscany there are no hurdles for getting new code into trunk.
However it would be easier, come release time, if we knew which
modules we're ready for release and which where not. Here "ready for
release" is in the eye of the developer(s) building the module in
question, i.e. there is no checklist or committee that determines it.

We do have a contrib directory [1] which I think (just my view)
*currently* fits into the grand scheme of things in the following way:

my sandbox - stuff I just want to work on
contrib - stuff that I think could go into a release at some point but
which isn't ready yet
trunk - stuff which I think is ready to release

I chatted with others about this and there were various opinions about
how we can improve so starting this [DISCUSS] to see if we can come to
some common understanding.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/contrib/

Regards

Simon

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding new function to the Tuscany trunk that's not yet ready for release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ant elder wrote:

>>> Yes i think thats implied from all the previous discussions we've had
>>> around this, that has to be up to the devs doing the work.
>>>
>>> I'm not totally convinced about the need for a contrib folder in
>>> trunk. The point of it sounds like so that things can be removed when
>>> a release is done, but why remove things? I'd rather get feedback from
>>> users as soon as possible so prefer to include even work in progress
>>> items in releases.
>>>
>> Some reasons for not including these things in a release:
>>
>> 1. They might not be buildable.
>>
>> 2. The developer(s) might know they don't work, in which case getting
>>   feedback saying "feature X doesn't work" wouldn't be very useful.
>>
>> 3. Users might expect that things in a release should work (at least to
>>   some reasonable extent) and they might not be very happy to put time
>>   into trying to use a feature and eventually find that the feature is
>>   incomplete or not ready.
>>
>>  Simon
>

> +1, users that really want to try bleeding edge features would
> probably be comfortable building and consuming trunk and provide the
> necessary feedback.. and we can always advertise these pieces via
> dev/user list, blogging, etc

I wasn't saying I'm against having a contrib folder in trunk if anyone
wants to try it, just not sure how much i personally would use it. All
those reasons for maybe using it could also be handled by just saying
its work in progress in doc/blog/mailing lists/build scripts etc.

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding new function to the Tuscany trunk that's not yet ready for release

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding new function to the Tuscany trunk that's not yet ready for release

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.
oops, sorry, will fix

Kelvin.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.
me too

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm OK with all of this.  I believe the implication (not stated explicitly)
>> is that everything in "modules" needs to be included in the main build.
>> I think this should be a requirement, and anything that isn't ready for this
>> should be under "contrib".
>>
>> Also, I'm not sure how this affects the contents of "samples".  I just
>> came across two recently added 1.x samples that aren't in the build, and
>> one of these can't be added to the build because it isn't buildable.
>> I think we should treat "samples" in the same way as "modules", which
>> would suggest the following structure:
>>
>> trunk
>>  modules (for release, all in the build)
>>  samples (for release, all in the build)
>>  etc.
>>  contrib (excluded from release profile)
>>    modules (not for release, some in the build)
>>    samples (not for release, some in the build)
>>    etc.
>>
>>  Simon
>
> Ok by me to have modules and samples as sub-directories of contrib.
>
> Simon

All seems good to me.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
IMO, we could have the following categories:

1) Sandbox: crazy ideas or something that don't have consensus yet in the community (You can do whatever you want here :-)

2) Trunk/contrib: experimental features that are not ready to be included in the next release
     a) If the code can be built, the module should be included in the main build
     b) if the code cannot be built, the module won't be included in the main build

3) Trunk/modules: stable features that are ready for the next release

Developers can adjust things between 2.a and 2.b. We should promote things from 2 into 3 when the features are ready.