Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Charles P. Killmer" <ch...@netgaintechnology.com> on 2004/11/23 23:13:34 UTC

JDBC

Looking for concensus on how people, with much more experience than I
have, use to connect to SQL Server 7.  I have been planning on using
Datadirect's JDBC Connect until I saw the price tag for a server.

So with that does any body have a preferred JDBC connector to SQL Server
7?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Charles

Re: JDBC

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Charles,

Do a search of the archives. There were several threads in the last few
months on SQL server. Some of them discussed this very issue.

If price is an issue, is there any compelling reason that make it worth
staying with SQL server?

Doug

Re: JDBC

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Mostly people use DAO, instead of JDBC driver directly.
One DAO is iBatis.
and jTDS is much better driver.

.V

Re: JDBC

Posted by Quinton Delpeche <qu...@vippayroll.co.za>.
On Wednesday 24 November 2004 00:13, Charles P. Killmer wrote:
> Looking for concensus on how people, with much more experience than I
> have, use to connect to SQL Server 7.  I have been planning on using
> Datadirect's JDBC Connect until I saw the price tag for a server.

Hi,

I used the standard one available from Microsoft (I think) for months before
we switched the entire system across to PostgresQL.

I still have the JAR files and Documentation if you would like.

> So with that does any body have a preferred JDBC connector to SQL Server
> 7?

I used it on SQL 7.0 and SQL 2000.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Charles
Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

In the beginning was the word.
But by the time the second word was added to it,
there was trouble.
For with it came syntax ...
		-- John Simon

Re: JDBC

Posted by Wade Chandler <wc...@redesetgrow.com>.
Charles P. Killmer wrote:
> Looking for concensus on how people, with much more experience than I
> have, use to connect to SQL Server 7.  I have been planning on using
> Datadirect's JDBC Connect until I saw the price tag for a server.
>
> So with that does any body have a preferred JDBC connector to SQL Server
> 7?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Charles

Don't know about 7, but for 2000 I use the JDBC driver from Microsoft in
our applications and it seems to work fine.  They have one for
unix/linux and one for windows.  You can go to the SQL Server website.
It might work with a version 7 server....never tried.  It's a free
download.  Also, jTDS works good as long as you don't use a - in your
database name.

Wade

Re: JDBC

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
Someone just last week recommended this one:
    http://jtds.sourceforge.net/

But you can use the one from Microsoft as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ee91ad1a-1ee4-49e1-95ea-e3f0e39114a9&DisplayLang=en

That's a crappy URL, but it links to the JDBC driver.

Charlie