Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jaume P�rez <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/17 10:57:11 UTC

newbye question

Hi,

	I'm doing some tests on James and I would like what I need in order to use
James as an SMTP server. I don't need to receive emails, only to send. My
main problem is actually I don't have a domain yet. Should I send mails with
a fake domain or have I to wait until having it? However, show me the light,
please!

RE: newbye question

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
It's pretty much a case of just install james....

It works as a smtp sever out of the box! (with a little configuration)

edit the apps/james/SAR-INF/config.xml file (off the top of my head so may
be sligtly wrong).

You need to give the machine names it should treat as local (so if only
using smtp, then just set somthing like localhost)

Configure the dns servers.

And start it!

If you're running an smtp server then you should either only allow it to be
accessed from certain IPs, or simply enable smtp auth (see config.xml) and
add users who should be able to send mail.

Daniel.