Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Martz <PM...@teltone.com> on 2002/12/17 19:42:00 UTC

File access from a servlet.

Hi all.

I'm currently working on a java servlet with tomcat and I want it to be able
to load a different data file dependent on certain parameters passed to the
servlet. The problem is that if I just try to open the file with the file
name (i.e. FileInputStream fin = new FileInputStream("blah.dta");) it fails
to find the file. I am guessing this is because the runtime directory is
different from the directory the servlet is running in? (the data file and
the servlet are in the same directory, but the servlet fails to find the
file still). So my question is, is there a way to get the current runtime
directory for Tomcat so that I can perhaps supply a relative path to get to
the file and have the servlet be able to open it? Thanks!

Patrick

P.S. For debugging purposes I HAVE tested opening of the file from a stub
class and it works just fine that way, but fails from the servlet.