Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ralph Goers <Ra...@digitalinsight.com> on 2004/03/12 16:56:26 UTC

RE: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Geoff,

I totally agree with the statements you are making below.  While I have no
problem with blocks that are clearly marked as having redistribution
licensing problems being part of Cocoon, the core components MUST not have
this problem.  Even moving flow to a block will not change it from being a
core component because so many other blocks are tying into it.  So this kind
of "tying" must be done very carefully and judiciously in my opinion.

While I am all in favor of using Maven, or some tool like it, to manage
dependencies, I really don't see how that has anything to do with licensing.
Whether Cocoon is pre-packaged at cocoon.apache.org, or the end-user has to
build it at their site, it really makes no difference.  If a Cocoon customer
cannot add on whatever value they choose and then distribute their product
with Cocoon included, this is a violation of the Apache license, at least in
spirit.

Ralph