Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2017/04/13 09:19:36 UTC

Two week interval developer standup/meeting

Hi,

With our move to Github/Gitbox [0] I would like to propose a online meeting with a two week interval.

Our backlog of PRs on Github is growing and keeps growing. With labeling PRs on Github after moving to the Gitbox project I hope this improves, but I think that a quick call (<1h) every two weeks would help.

My proposal would be:

- A calendar with meetings planned up to 12 months in advance
- Every meeting should take place at a different time so that we all have to work early or late at some point
- During the meeting people can bring up questions about anything dev related:
  - PRs to be merged/closed
  - Release status
  - Other discussions

The meeting is not intended for questions, it should be a developer meeting only.

People who want a PR to be merged are encouraged to join the meeting so they can explain a bit more about the PR if other developers want more information.

After each meeting the notes are send to the dev-list so that everybody who couldn't attend can read what was discussed.

It has to be clear, no decisions can be made as they all have to be voted for according to the ASF rules.

Even if only 2 developers join the meeting it can be successful as they can make progress.

It is not my intention to moderate every meeting. A meeting can also take place without a dedicated moderator. Although it is preferred that somebody takes the lead in every meeting.

I don't know which conferencing tool to use yet. BlueJeans [1] seems nice and is being used for a few projects.

Comments? Objections? Suggestions?

Otherwise I'll go ahead and draft a schedule which can also be published on the CloudStack website.

My intention would be to have the first meeting in May.

Wido

[0]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13885
[1]: https://www.bluejeans.com/