Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rainer Bendig aka Ny <li...@unresolvedissue.org> on 2004/11/25 23:47:24 UTC

long scanning time

Hi,

first of all, this is my first post to this list, if this is the wrong
place for signed messages please tell and i'll turn it off.

Now to my problem:

I am using spamassassin Version 3.0.1-1 from debian unstable and i am
invoking spamc via my ~/.procmailrc as postet here:

----8<--- ~/.procmailrc ---
### spamassassin
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamc

:0:

my /etc/spamassassin/local.cf is looking as posted here:

----8<--- /etc/spamassassin/local.cf --
rewrite_header Subject *****SPAM*****
report_safe 0
ok_languages de en
---------------------------------------

And for a 8593 bytes large e-Mail it need 6.3 seconds to scan (spamd
syslog message)

At the moment i am not using pyzor, dcc or razor.

spamd|spamc are talkong via tcp/ip but are on the same machine, maybe
i can boost it a little bit using unix sockets?

I think an avarage time of 5 - 7 seconds for a message are to for
scanning.

The neg of the bottle is not the hardware, its overhead for
spamscanning...
P4 2.8 GHz, 1024 Megs of RAM

output of vmstat is this:
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs us sy id wa
 0  0      0 361184     36 406736    0    0    18    26 1060   831  5  1 94  0

Spamassassin is fed with thousands of ham mails from the mailinglists,
and so i think this cant be the reason.

Any hints?
thanks in advice
Rainer
Rainer 'Ny' Bendig | http://UnresolvedIssue.org | GPG-Key: 0xCC7EA575

Re: long scanning time

Posted by Rainer Bendig aka Ny <li...@unresolvedissue.org>.

Re: long scanning time

Posted by Matias Lopez Bergero <ml...@udesa.edu.ar>.
Rainer Bendig aka Ny wrote:

> I am using spamassassin Version 3.0.1-1 from debian unstable and i am
> invoking spamc via my ~/.procmailrc as postet here:
>
  > And for a 8593 bytes large e-Mail it need 6.3 seconds to scan (spamd
> syslog message)
>

> The neg of the bottle is not the hardware, its overhead for
> spamscanning...
> P4 2.8 GHz, 1024 Megs of RAM

I have almost the same system, Xeon 2.80GHz, 1,5GB of memory, and I was
experiencing the same problem until I read this:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Utf8Performance

Maybe it helps you.

BR,
Matías.