Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Bruce W. Hoylman" <bh...@advtech.uswest.com> on 2000/02/15 20:05:20 UTC

Embperl, databases and dynamic lists of values

Ciao!

Would anyone care to offer suggestions on the implementation of dynamic
lists of values (LOVs) to be presented on interactive web forms in a
mod_perl/Embperl framework?  Their content is to be derived from an
underlying DBMS based on previously filled-in form information, or
perhaps based on a simple pattern entered by the user.

Again, mod_perl/Embperl are my weapons of choice for rendering the
various project pages, and I can/will use a fair share of javascript to
'activate' the UI, I imagine.  There is to be NO java, server-side or
otherwise, so I'm looking to make the front-end presented to the user as
usable as I can with the client-side maybe a bit heavier than in a
normal app.

I suppose one could do it via a 'wizard' approach with multiple POST
requests, each with a little more information than the other and used to
drive the next form state.  I don't know how usuable this will be
considering the multiple requests potentially needed to navigate through
the information on a form.  Guess I'll be finding out, huh?

If you have any thoughts on the subject, I'm listening.  Otherwise, I
will keep anyone who is interested apprised of my approach and
solution(s).

Always a pleasure to participate on this list.

Peace.

Re: Embperl, databases and dynamic lists of values

Posted by Cliff Rayman <cl...@genwax.com>.
not sure if i catch your drift - but
can't you use the following in embperl?

OPTION

            Embperl checks if there is a value from the form data for a
specific option in a menu. If so, this option will be pre-selected.

            Example:

            <FORM METHOD=``POST''> <P>Select Tag</P>

              If you request this document with list.htm?SEL1=x
              you can specify that the element which has a value
              of x is initially selected

              <P><SELECT NAME="SEL1">
                 <OPTION VALUE="[+ $v[$row] +]">
                    [+ $k[$row] +]
                 </OPTION>
              </SELECT></P>
            </FORM>

cliff rayman
genwax.com

Posted by "Bruce W. Hoylman" <bh...@advtech.uswest.com>.

    Ged> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bruce W. Hoylman wrote:

    Ged>   www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/

Not too intrusive.  It got me where I was wanting to go.  Nice job.

    Ged> Have a look, if you're interested you can have the code to play
    Ged> with as long as you promise not to laugh loudly in public.  You
    Ged> could probably knock it into shape for use with a database
    Ged> quite easily.

Thanks for the offer!  I wouldn't mind taking a look at it.  I promise
I'll go to the next room if I need to (c:  Just forward it to my 'From:'
address.

Again, thanks.

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bruce W. Hoylman wrote:

> Would anyone care to offer suggestions on the implementation of dynamic
> lists of values (LOVs) to be presented on interactive web forms in a
> mod_perl/Embperl framework?  Their content is to be derived from an
> underlying DBMS based on previously filled-in form information, or
> perhaps based on a simple pattern entered by the user.

I don't use Embperl, but I do something similar at

  www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/

for finding one (or more) stationery (etc.) items by two kinds of
search from a flat file database containing about 25,000 products.

Have a look, if you're interested you can have the code to play with
as long as you promise not to laugh loudly in public.  You could
probably knock it into shape for use with a database quite easily.

73,
Ged.