Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kurt Roy <kr...@prospricing.com> on 2008/01/05 17:25:03 UTC

Can multiple processes download artifacts and access them from one Maven local repository without failure?

Hello,

We are integrating some new software being built by Maven with our main
software being built with ant. We are using the Maven ant lib ant tasks
to copy jars from the Maven repository into the local ant build
environment.

Our automated build system runs all builds from one UNIX user id whose
home is on one shared drive. Every night, our build system can have up
to 4 or 5 builds running concurrently under this one user id on the same
or different machines (we are building about 20 different products every
night that share many reusable components).

My question is this:

Can all these builds share the SAME default Maven local repository
stored in the one UNIX user id's home directory? I assume for reads this
is not a problem. But what if two (or three) separate processes start
downloading the same artifact to the local repository at the same time?
Is this supported?

I realize that the Maven ant lib ant tasks have the ability to point to
a local repository (<artifact:localRepository ... />), where I can
construct a unique repository "path" from ant properties. However, with
this approach, there will be a lot of duplication of artifacts being
downloaded. This will have a negative performance impact, not to mention
taking up more disk space.

Using the one default local repository is simple, and will perform the
best. I am just not sure if local repository can handle concurrent
downloads of the same artifacts.

Thanks for your support.

Kurt Roy | PROS | Software Architect, Software Development
phone: +1 713-335-8007 | email: kroy@prospricing.com

Save the Date for the 14th Annual PROS Summit * April 20-23, 2008 at the
Hilton Americas Hotel in Houston, Texas * www.prospricing.com
<http://www.prospricing.com/>

RE: Can multiple processes download artifacts and access them from one Maven local repository without failure?

Posted by Kurt Roy <kr...@prospricing.com>.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

We will look into a "mirror" local repository.

Kurt

Posted by Piotr Tabor <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Roy,