Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk> on 2017/05/17 12:22:09 UTC

SA not performing DNSBL queries correctly

I have 2 servers with SA 3.4.1 running on Slackware, with Bind in
caching/recursive mode. For months one of them has been unable to
correctly do dns blocklists (but the queries are not blocked). I have
pored over the logs, and the main difference is that, although both of
them pick up on the bad urls in the body of the message, the bad server
is unable to resolve the url to an IP address for some reason (but dig
works fine on the command line on both servers):

On the good server:

dbg: uridnsbl: complete_ns_lookup NS:spamdomain.com
dbg: uridnsbl: got(1) NS for spamdomain.com: spamdomain.com. 45 IN NS
ns3.bkdns.vn.
</snip>
dbg: uridnsbl: complete_a_lookup A:spamdomain.com
dbg: uridnsbl: complete_a_lookup got(1) A for spamdomain.com:
spamdomain.com. 45 IN A 1.2.3.4

On the broken server I only get:

dbg: uridnsbl: complete_ns_lookup NS:spamdomain.com
dbg: dns: dns reply 62167 is OK, 0 answer records
dbg: async: calling callback on key A:spamdomain.com
dbg: uridnsbl: complete_a_lookup A:spamdomain.com
dbg: dns: dns reply 36552 is OK, 0 answer records

Would anybody know why the broken server is unable to resolve domains to
IP's in SA (but works ok through dig)? There are no error messages
anywhere that I can find and spamassassin -D --lint is not complaining
of anything.

Re: SA not performing DNSBL queries correctly

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.
On 17/05/17 18:11, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> On 17/05/17 16:53, David Mehler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't see your SA issue here, but since your running 3.41 can I get
>> a look at your SA configuration to compare against mine?
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.
>
> Yes - you are correct. As I pointed out in my last email, it looks like
> there might be an issue with the package supplied by Slackware at
> slackbuilds.org - and I am chasing it up with them there. But thanks to
> the advice on this list, I've managed to narrow things down - so I am
> grateful for the hints.

Just a follow-up and clarification on this issue - after more testing,
it seems that it was the Spamassassin version which was the problem. I
have had to upgrade SA on 7 servers running 3.4.1 on Slackware - as the
dns rbl's weren't working on any of them. The only server I had with SA
3.4.0 *was* actually working correctly. After upgrading all the boxes to
4.0.0, the dns rbl's are now working correctly. I have *not* changed any
configuration options in SA - I left all the servers as they were in
this respect - so it seems it was not a configuration issue.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to narrow it down further than this. The
servers were all running various kernels, both x86 and x86_64
architectures, and several different versions of Perl - so I would guess
the SA version was the common factor and the likely culprit.

Re: SA not performing DNSBL queries correctly

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.

Posted by Sebastian Arcus <s....@open-t.co.uk>.