Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2003/07/15 23:33:52 UTC

Woody and user help....

Hi:

Is there some tag for woody that allow us to include some help for the user?

In JXForm exist <xf:help>, I think we can take advantage of oveLib to show
some help:

http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

RE: [Woody] New tag -> Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Being on vacation, I missed a few developments in Woody... anyway, at the risk of making a fool of myself:

Shouldn't the help attribute fit in the template domain ?

I mean, I'd like to re-use the same form definition with different templates, such as in the context of an internazionalied app, and
the help text should be chosen according to user's language.

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org
http://space.virgilio.it/kumora/index.html

Re: [Woody] New tag -> Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Marc Portier dijo:
>
>>without much thought the hotkey seems to be more of a Template
>>thing, no?
>>
>>although it probably relates to the label... have to think some more
>>
>>in any case (my client side js-knowledge is limited) can you
>>actively do something with this access-key knowledge in HTML forms?
>

> Hi:
>
> This is not about js. This is very easy to implement, since HTML 4.01
> there is a attribute:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.9.1
>
> as long as I know XHTML 1.0 has the same attribute.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.

thx, I (obvisouly) didn't know :-$

looking at it from this angle it kind of fits nicely in the same
corner as label and help --> definition rather then template

regards,
-marc=

Re: [Woody] New tag -> Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 12:08, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Marc Portier dijo:
> > without much thought the hotkey seems to be more of a Template
> > thing, no?
> >
> > although it probably relates to the label... have to think some more
> >
> > in any case (my client side js-knowledge is limited) can you
> > actively do something with this access-key knowledge in HTML forms?
>
> Hi:
>
> This is not about js. This is very easy to implement, since HTML 4.01
> there is a attribute:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.9.1
>
> as long as I know XHTML 1.0 has the same attribute.

I just tried this out, and it works nicely indeed (at least in mozilla
and IE).

I'm currently thinking to make it something like this:

<wd:label accesskey="x">....</wd:label>
<wd:help href="...">...</wd:help>

Everything (including the accesskey) would be i18n-able using standard
i18n-transformer techniques.

The purpose of the href in the wd:help is if you'd rather (or
additionally) have help opened in a different window.

If you want to use different labels in a certain view (template) you can
of course simply ignore the labels specified in the form definition.

Re: [Woody] New tag -> Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Marc Portier dijo:

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Bruno Dumon dijo:

Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi:

Will be included the <wd:help> tag into Woody?

Need it a votation?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Antonio Gallardo dijo:

Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Tony Collen dijo:

Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Tony Collen dijo:
>
>>Well, call me a luddite but I'm not a huge fan of the DHTML... what's
>>wrong with slapping help info in an alt tag?
>

> It depends, DHTML with Javascript helps to make some validations for users
> before send the page back to the server. DHTML allow to add some nice
> features like interactives drop down menus and popup contextual help. This
> kind of interaction is what a user has in a traditional fat client.
>
> I think there is no way back. Of course if we dont want, we can not use
> DHTML at all. But this is up to us. Blocking a feature is not the answer.
> In that case a <wd:help> tag must exist for every field and maybe at form
> level.
>
> Contextual help in a web application is a MUST. This is why I think woody
> must have a optional tag help. If you want to use it or not ot depedends
> of the user. The form how we will render it in HTML or WML depends of us.
>
> I would suggest to add <wd:help>. Also JXForms already has it.

erp, what I meant to say was misunderstood.

I'm all for a "help" tag, I'm just not for hardcoding how it ends up
appearing (DHTML).

Tony

Re: Woody and user help....

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.