Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2014/07/14 15:34:52 UTC

Key talking points CS vs OS?

I'm submitting an OSCON Ignite talk in a couple of hours about "Why your
project's brand is more important than the code" and it occurred to me
(since I still have one blank slide, and my deadline looms in a few
hours to submit slides) that CloudStack vs. OpenStack would be a good
example in some ways.

I already have some slides on "how do you choose a new product in a new
technical area you haven't worked in", and think that adding a third
slide on how OpenStack would come to the top if you were rating them
both on brand impressions, but CloudStack would come out on top if you
were looking at the code or seeing the actual real-world running code
impacts.

Existing slides:
- So you're a database person who needs to break into front end design.
 There are all these JS frameworks to choose from (logos around person).
 How do you choose?

- You don't have time to read all the code of all of them, so you
optimize - you choose a shortlist to download evals and build code demos
of a couple, and then choose one from there.  But how did you optimize
your shortlist?  You relied on the brand impression from all the JS
frameworks to choose the shortlist.

- Potential new slide: OpenStack and CloudStack logos opposing each other)
For example, which of these two has a better impression in your mind,
right now, right here?

The suits here almost certainly said OpenStack; a much stronger brand.
But CloudStack has the better code / more deploys / what???

Anyone want to give me 10 seconds of script to talk up here about the
difference?

Please cc: me since I'm not on this list.

- Shane

Re: Key talking points CS vs OS?

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
Shane,

This response pains me more than you could know.

At one point I would have agreed with you on the CloudStack vs. OpenStack awareness versus code but the fact of the matter is that by creating the brand impressions OpenStack has attracted a larger developer base and has erased much of the technical debt it had relative to CloudStack two years ago. The latest Coverity scan shows a higher defect rate than other Apache projects too(http://clds.co/1jriKFj) and I suspect a comparable if not better defect rate. I symptom of a user base that experiences linear versus the exponential growth many open source projects like Linux, the Apache Web Server and MySQL experience.

I will say given the limited brand awareness of CloudStack it has as very good code base and exceptional amount of deploys but I don’t think that it supports your hypothesis.

I really think that the point could be or should be, “Your project’s brand is AS IMPORTANT as your code?” and that a strong brand draws user and developer confidence into investing in your project. If our brand was stronger I think our code would be stronger but there’s only one way to prove that theory. I wouldn’t want to see CloudStack as the cautionary tale slide in your preso.

I don’t like to compare open source projects but I think you could make a compelling slide showing the velocity of OpenStack adoption versus the press they received.

Press Mentions of OpenStack over time - http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=openstack
Activity - http://activity.openstack.org/data/display/OPNSTK2/All+Projects+Activity+Dashboard+-+Last+30+Days?src=contextnavchildmode

If you mapped their activity and overlaid it with press mentions I think you’d effectively make your point.
I wish that there was a compelling CloudStack way to support your hypothesis but I don’t see it.

Regards,
Mark

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Sally Khudairi
<sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Shane --if you remember our media training, it's important that we remain vendor (and solutions!)-neutral.

+1 - I was thinking about how to best answer Shane's questions, and
this concern was at the top of my mind.

> I'm not aware of any side-by-side comparison charts between CloudStack and OpenStack that's being used in public.
>
> I have created a tearsheet on Apache CloudStack that may be of interest/use to you. I'm pasting below; do let me know if you'd prefer I send it over as an attachment.

Shane, Sally's info below should be good info for you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd avoid making a claim that one is better
than the other.  While we are certainly working to raise *awareness*
of CloudStack (given the noise of OS), we don't want to spend cycles
"competing" with that project.  That said, this is certainly a good
oppt to raise some awareness.

So...  The point that I'd make is that we have *many users* that are
happily using the project in production (as does OS).  We get the
question on users@ about "why should I pick CloudStack instead of
OpenStack?" on a semi-regular basis.  The community is pretty
consistent about answering with "Test them both, then decide." or
"Pick the one that meets your requirements with the minimum of effort
on your part.".  In a way, I'd make that the point of the slide...
Brand is critical to be considered, but the point of making a
technical decision should be that it needs to be, in fact, a technical
decision (with an eye to community viability).  Don't let marketing
hype hurt your decision making process.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com>.