Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Tom Anderson <to...@e2x.co.uk> on 2010/01/23 16:42:27 UTC

Which jar to use to add Jackrabbit to a web app as a resource?

Hi,

I am writing a little web application to fiddle with JCR, using Jackrabbit
as the implementation. I'll write a few servlets and JSPs and so on to
display and manipulate JCR items. I'd like to add a repository as a
resource, in the orthodox J2EE manner, with a resource-ref entry in the
web.xml and a corresponding entry in the container's configuration (in
this case, Jetty's jetty-env.xml) - what is called in the documentation
"Model 1: The (Web-) Application Bundle" [1].

So far, so good. But what i'm not sure of what i need to add to my web
app's lib directory. The downloads page [2] gives me four options: a
source jarball, a standalone server, a web application, and a resource
adapter. Having had a look at the descriptions of these linked from the
components page [3], i don't think any of these are what i want: i want
classes, not source; i want a component, not a standalone server; i want a
component, not a web application in its own right; i want a library i can
use inside a web app, not a JCA resource adapter.

So, what do i use? I'm guessing that i can use the standalone or web app
jars and get away with it, but i'd prefer to use a minimal set of classes.
Should i be getting the Jackrabbit core jar, and using that and all its
dependencies? If so, what are those dependencies?

Thanks,
tom

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/deployment-models.html
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/downloads.html
[3] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-components.html

--
Tom Anderson                |            e2x Ltd, 8 Elder Street, London E1 6BT
(e) tom.anderson@e2x.co.uk  |  (m) +44 (7960) 989794  |  (f) +44 (20) 7194 8016

Re: Which jar to use to add Jackrabbit to a web app as a resource?

Posted by ChadDavis <ch...@gmail.com>.
I recommend using the jackrabbit-webapp webapp.  It has a servlet that
is there just to provide access to the repository, which is
bootstrapped by another servlet dedicated to that purpose.  I think
this module contains all dependencies except for the jcr jar itself.