Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Nathan Byrd <na...@byrd.net> on 2002/12/04 02:58:24 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache::PAR 0.01

Hi all,

I am happy to announce the initial public release to CPAN of the
Apache::PAR module.

 Apache::PAR is a framework for including Perl ARchive files in a
mod_perl environment.  It allows an author to package up a web
application, including configuration, static files, Perl modules, and
Registry and PerlRun scripts to include in a single file.  This archive
can then be moved to other locations on the same system or distributed,
and loaded with a single set of configuration options in the Apache
configuration.  Scripts, modules, and content should continue to run
without modifications.

These modules are based on PAR.pm by Autrijus Tang and Archive::Zip by
Ned Konz, as well as the mod_perl modules.  They extend the concept of
PAR files to mod_perl, similar to how WAR archives work for Java. An
archive (which is really a zip file), contains one or more elements
which can be served to clients making requests to an Apache web server.

For more information, see the Perl documentation or README included with
the package.  The CPAN entry can be found at:

http://search.cpan.org/author/NBYRD/Apache-PAR-0.01/

A sourceforge project (including CVS access) has also been created at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apache-par/

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments/suggestions. This
is especially important as I know there are some rough edges to work
out, and I would love to get feedback to help me determine priorities.
And, of course, patches are always welcome. :-) Thanks,

--
Nathan Byrd <na...@byrd.net>