Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Je...@barclayscapital.com on 2011/02/09 22:00:16 UTC

Default Listen Port

What's the easiest way to change the port nodes listen for comm on from other nodes? It appears that the default is 8080 which collides with my tomcat server on one of our dev boxes. I tried doing something in cassandra.yaml like

listen_address: 192.1.fake.2:7777

but that doesn't work it throws an exception. Also can you not put the actual name of servers in the config or does it always have to be the actual ip address currently? Thanks.

jt

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.

RE: Default Listen Port

Posted by Je...@barclayscapital.com.
Thanks for the heads up that worked.

> What's the easiest way to change the port nodes listen for comm on
> from other nodes? It appears that the default is 8080 which collides
> with my tomcat server on one of our dev boxes. I tried doing
> something in cassandra.yaml like
>
> listen_address: 192.1.fake.2:7777
>
> but that doesn't work it throws an exception. Also can you not put
> the actual name of servers in the config or does it always have to be
> the actual ip address currently? Thanks.

8080 is used by jmx [1].  You can change that in cassandra-env.sh.

hostnames are allowed.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#ports

Re: Default Listen Port

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default Listen Port

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM,  <Je...@barclayscapital.com> wrote:
> What’s the easiest way to change the port nodes listen for comm on from
> other nodes? It appears that the default is 8080 which collides with my
> tomcat server on one of our dev boxes. I tried doing something in
> cassandra.yaml like
>

> listen_address: 192.1.fake.2:7777
>

> but that doesn’t work it throws an exception. Also can you not put the
> actual name of servers in the config or does it always have to be the actual
> ip address currently? Thanks.
>

> jt

> This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or
> otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of
> this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete
> it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in
> error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or
> sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or
> other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
> transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions
> presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the
> following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays
> you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking
> division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number
> 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.
> This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays
> Group.

You are having a collision on 8080 which is the default JMX port.

In conf/cassandra-env.sh
look for JMX_PORT="8080"

9160 is the thrift port used by clients
7000 is the storage port (used between nodes)

If you change the jmx port you have specify it when using nodetool,
'nodetool -h localhost -p <new port> ring'