Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by LutherBaker <lu...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/24 19:27:32 UTC

Wicket and Netbeans

Per the  http://wicket.apache.org/start/quickstart.html quickstart page , I
built the quickstart project ala:

c:\var\dev\netbeans>mvn archetype:create
 -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.wicket
 -DarchetypeArtifactId=wicket-archetype-quickstart
 -DarchetypeVersion=1.4.10 -DgroupId=foo.bar -DartifactId=foo

opened it in Netbeans, created the action "jetty:run" and started the
application. All is well and I can see the greeting page.

If I change the text on the html file or alter the message in the class file
- nothing happens. If I shutdown and restart jetty:run, the changes appear.
I added the scanIntervalSeconds:

			<plugin>
				<groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
				<artifactId>maven-jetty-plugin</artifactId>
                                <configuration>

<scanIntervalSeconds>3</scanIntervalSeconds>
                                </configuration>
			</plugin>

to the POM file but still no change. Is there something else I must do in
Netbeans to see and publish changes I make to Wicket files or ... is there a
better way to do this so that I'm not constantly restarting the web server?

I also tried the 'Start' class - and I can see the pages - but they do not
refresh when I change anything on them or their related class files.

What is generally the best routine for the smoothest development workflow
with wicket. A different IDE?

Re: Wicket and Netbeans

Posted by Girts Ziemelis <gi...@gmail.com>.
I am not using maven with netbeans any more - at some point I configured, that
it worked more or less OK, but I did not see any benefit in using it (from
netbeans). Everything was slower and just pain to configure and run. Built in
ant for netbeans works very well. Starting Jetty from runner class (Shift-F5)
in debug mode handles many class changes without Jetty restart. F11 rebuilds
war and copies html. And restarting jetty is very fast.

Jetty7 runner class:
public class Main {
    Server server = new Server(8084);
    WebAppContext webapp = new WebAppContext();
    webapp.setContextPath("/example");
    webapp.setWar("build/web");
    server.setHandler(webapp);
    server.start();
    server.join();
  }
}

Re: Wicket and Netbeans

Posted by LutherBaker <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestions.

In this case, I was able to navigate to the project's properties and find
Build | Compile where I changed the "Compile on Save" option to "For both
application and test execution". That seemed to do it. Jetty now restarts
automatically on changes to class and templates.

This last comment peaked my interest - session preservation would be nice -
ie: I assume that hot deploys are "in place" and the server doesn't actually
restart.

Hmmmm....

Re: Wicket and Netbeans

Posted by bh...@actrix.gen.nz.
Hi,

If you use the default ant projects in NetBeans, then you get deploy
on save with session preservation.

I haven't found this functionality in maven under netbeans yet.

You don't need to re-start any server just save your file and reload
the page.

The advantage is that you can develop the application under the server
that you will deploy it on in production.

Regards,

Bernard

Re: Wicket and Netbeans

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
looks like netbeans is not copying the .html file into the build dir
(which should be set to target/classes) after you save it. you can
figure out how to toggle this setting in netbeans, or add this to your
application's init:

getResourceSettings().addResourceFolder("src/main/java");

-igor