Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Brian Thomas <th...@adc.gsfc.nasa.gov> on 2001/12/13 17:36:29 UTC

ElementState patch (again)

	Hi,

	I am working on a scientific data format for XML, XDF
 (http://xml.gsfc.nasa.gov/XDF). As part of the project, I want to subclass
 various parts of the DOM object tree to put in place various convience
 methods to access XDF portions of the DOM. I find that the way that Xerces
 (1.4.3 and now 1.4.4) is written prevents this, namely, the
 ElementState.java class doesnt declare its fields to be public. Below I have
 included a (very simple) patch that will remedy the situation.

	The last time I submitted this patch I was resoundingly ignored. Is there a
 better place to submit (short) patches like this, or is there great
 resistance to making these fields public, or was the ball dropped from the
 last time I submitted the patch?

							Regards,

							-b.t.

-----------------------------------
*** ElementState.java.orig      Fri Aug 31 15:22:35 2001
--- ElementState.java   Fri Aug 31 14:34:24 2001
***************
*** 77,146 ****
      /**
       * The element's raw tag name (local or prefix:local).
       */
!     String rawName;

      /**
       * The element's local tag name.
       */
!     String localName;

      /**
       * The element's namespace URI.
       */
!     String namespaceURI;

      /**
       * True if element is space preserving.
       */
!     boolean preserveSpace;

      /**
       * True if element is empty. Turns false immediately
       * after serializing the first contents of the element.
       */
!     boolean empty;

      /**
       * True if the last serialized node was an element node.
       */
!     boolean afterElement;

      /**
       * True if the last serialized node was a comment node.
       */
!     boolean afterComment;

      /**
       * True if textual content of current element should be
       * serialized as CDATA section.
       */
!     public boolean doCData;

      /**
       * True if textual content of current element should be
       * serialized as raw characters (unescaped).
       */
!     public boolean unescaped;

      /**
       * True while inside CData and printing text as CData.
       */
!     public boolean inCData;

      /**
       * Association between namespace URIs (keys) and prefixes (values).
       */
!     public Hashtable prefixes;

  }

Re: ElementState patch (again)

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Brian Thomas wrote:
>         The last time I submitted this patch I was resoundingly ignored. Is there a
>  better place to submit (short) patches like this,

I've applied your patch to Xerces2 code.
It is better to submit patches to xerces-j-dev list.

Thank you,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto