Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/10/23 09:06:17 UTC

Teleconferencing options for speakers who cannot attend

As discussed on the ooo-dev list
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/ we have
several speakers from China (all in the OpenOffice track, it seems) who
are facing delays in getting a visa to Germany for ApacheCon.

A suggestion from Louis Suárez-Potts is to allow teleconferencing:
speakers who cannot be physically in Germany would still be able to give
their presentation as an online seminar.

Would this be possible with the current infrastructure in Sinsheim?

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Teleconferencing options for speakers who cannot attend

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-23, at 03:59 , Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Honestly (and sorry to say), if I attend a conference and pay the full
>> price, I would be more than disappointed if the presenter is not in
>> the same room as me. I can watch youtube videos without wasting my
>> money. I am not the conference expert, but I doubt there are (many)
>> other conferences using remote presentations.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Christian
>>
> We are not or at any rate I am not discussing "youtube videos". We are or I am discussing videoconferencing. One is static, the other is not; one provides for direct query and interaction, the other does not.
>
> I dislike rhetorical posturing. I do not engage in it.

Sorry if you found this is rhetorical. I don't think so. Actually the
quality of video conferencing for me is just a little better than
youtube.

Despite the problems which might occur with techniques, it is not the
same to have somebody in the same room as on the monitor. If I want to
attent a web conference, I would do. There are many possibilities to
organize something like that, including Google Hangouts. This usually
does only have less or no cost.

I have attended some trainings which were online with only 10 people
and it was always pretty horrible to communicate with the trainer. How
should asking questions work in the conference? Does somebody who has
a question need to go to a phone line to ask it? Sorry, but I actually
expect the video conferencing idea to become something like a youtube
video.

A regular ticket top the ApacheCon costs € 600.00. For that I expect
speakers to be in the same room. If I liked the talk I want to speak
with them afterwards. I want to share a beer with them. A conference
is also around community interaction and networking. I simply expect
that when I pay so much money. This all is not possible with a phone
and a camera.

I leave it up to the more experienced planners here, but I do not
support this approach as I cannot imagine any good out of this. As sad
as it is, but if the speakers are not able to come to Germany I
consider it better to change talks.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Teleconferencing options for speakers who cannot attend

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dsh <da...@gmail.com>.
It really depends on two things IMHO.

1) Technology even if using broadband isn't always reliable if it
comes to ConfCalls especially if many people are joining the call and
there's an increasing background noise
2) To some degree the high quality experience of a face to face
conference may deteriorate in a way if you start to virtualize things.
So you could consider this a reputation issue in terms of quality.

So the co speaker as a driver could work as a workaround cause he
would be driving the talk. At least that was the idea...

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

--
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Re: Teleconferencing options for speakers who cannot attend

Posted by dsh <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 12-10-23, at 03:40 , Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Andrea:
>
> Apparently we don't have any guarantees on quality of service, so we are suggesting that speakers who wish to try this route should prepare a video for use if the remote presentation doesn't work out.

That would be a disappointment and would be in keeping with the "YouTube" video dismissal I erroneously just condemned, not having read this post in the thread.

My apologies, Christian!

> I presume that no special room set-up will be needed for these talks except audio connection to the computer that's used to display the call?

I find this a little odd… I mean, I've had excellent technological responses using very simple setups—My laptop.

There exist alternatives. For instance, there is Uberconference.

Louis

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Andrea: