Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/09 18:35:18 UTC

Incubating Project Releases (was Re: JDO2 Snapshots)

On 8/8/05, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> I don't mind an incubating project making verifiable releases with
> proper voting and the appropriate disclaimers.

I completely agree, and I believe this is exactly what projects want to do.

Are there any PMC members who disagree with Roy's opinion?

Cliff

Re: Incubating Project Releases (was Re: JDO2 Snapshots)

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/05, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> >>Certainly not me.
> >>
> > I just really want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting Roy's
> > statement.  Why would there be any debate at all about what JDO wanted
> > to do if the statement above was the consensus of the PMC?
>
> Because they wanted to do something else, namely publish a snapshot to a
> maven repository, a thing which exists primarily so build tools can do
> automated downloads of its contents without bothering the user of said
> build tool much about it, hence lacks "appropriate disclaimers".
>
> Furthermore, its becoming common practice around the open source java
> land to call things a "snapshot" to wiggle out of doing "proper voting"
> or building "verifiable releases".
>
> So they failed at least one and potentially all of the requirements.

ahh -- I thought they were only talking about doing snapshot releases
because they believed it was their only choice while in incubation;
this is why I wanted it clear that a proper release could be done by
an incubating project that follows the branding guidelines.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On 8/10/05, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>
>>Cliff Schmidt wrote:

>>>I completely agree, and I believe this is exactly what projects want to do.
>>>
>>>Are there any PMC members who disagree with Roy's opinion?
>>
>>Certainly not me.
>>
> I just really want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting Roy's
> statement.  Why would there be any debate at all about what JDO wanted
> to do if the statement above was the consensus of the PMC?

Because they wanted to do something else, namely publish a snapshot to a
maven repository, a thing which exists primarily so build tools can do
automated downloads of its contents without bothering the user of said
build tool much about it, hence lacks "appropriate disclaimers".

Furthermore, its becoming common practice around the open source java
land to call things a "snapshot" to wiggle out of doing "proper voting"
or building "verifiable releases".

So they failed at least one and potentially all of the requirements.

- LSD

Re: Incubating Project Releases (was Re: JDO2 Snapshots)

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/10/05, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> > On 8/8/05, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I don't mind an incubating project making verifiable releases with
> >>proper voting and the appropriate disclaimers.
> >
> > I completely agree, and I believe this is exactly what projects want to do.
> >
> > Are there any PMC members who disagree with Roy's opinion?
>
> Certainly not me.
>
> - LSD

Okay -- that makes three of us.

I just really want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting Roy's
statement.  Why would there be any debate at all about what JDO wanted
to do if the statement above was the consensus of the PMC?

The answer could be as simple as: "snapshots are meant for the
development team and not to be pushed on users.  You maybe shouldn't
even link to them from the web site.  However, if what you want is to
encourage your user community to use and give you feedback about what
you have so far, just do a release.  It could be a v0.5 or a 1.0 or a
1.2 -- whatever is appropriate to the state of your code.  Any
incubating project you can do this if you go to the effort to make a
verifiable release with proper voting and the appropriate disclaimers.
 BTW, one more thing -- are you sure you're not ready to graduate from
the incubator yet?  We'd really like to see that be your focus.  After
that point you won't have to worry about using the disclaimer text and
the '*incubating*' filename."

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.