Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2005/07/10 16:28:28 UTC

RE: [axis2] Code commentary

Hi Glen and all,

> Hi folks!
>
> I'm re-ramping up on the current state of Axis2, and hoping to dive in
> for some substantive coding work in the next few days (some work on
> modules and looking into RPC/enc).  As I'm going through the code, I
> notice a few things:
>
> * Formatting inconsistencies all over the place... can we run the whole
> codebase through IDEA's "reformat code" tool?  (+1 from me!)

+1 from me too. If some one can setup his IDE and save the code template and
send to us, that will be easy to share the same code style. So for others we
can enforce that by asking to put that template in the {IDEA_HOME}
\config\codestyles folder.

Sorry I can not volunteer to this as I'm bit uncertain about some coding
styles. But if some one lays down them here, I can help :).

> * We decided on either 80 or 100 char lines back in December (seach the
> archives for "80 columns"), and yet there are a lot of lines > 120 chars.
>
> * Lack of comments.  It is really important to have at least some notion
> of what each class is for, and ideally a good explanation, in the
> JavaDoc header for that class (ditto for methods).  Lots of our current
> classes/methods are missing any comments.

Will do this. I also need some time to do it.

Regards,
Chinthaka

Re: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by jayachandra <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 80 column lines. Many linux guys out there will curse us otherwise ;)

--
-- Jaya

Re: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
To start with, our coding convntions can just mention the exceptions
or customizations to the official Sun Java Coding Conventions at
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html.

I'm +1 for adapting it without changes.

-- venkat

RE: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

RE: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Re: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

RE: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
> >btw, whats most popular IDE for Axis dev community? :-) I'm a big fan
> >of Eclipse.
> >
> You're not alone :-)

I have yet to re-try Eclipse after a bad experience with it several years ago.  I know it's way better now and will eventually get
around to giving it a whirl again, but I've been totally digging IDEA for a long time now.

Let many flowers bloom and all that. :)

--Glen

Re: [axis2] Code commentary

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Venkat Reddy wrote:

>For those who use Eclipse, it is as simple as right-clicking on the
>package or class and select "Source >> Format". The Eclipse bilt-in
>template will be applied. I think we can agree on the eclipse defalut
>template (also exported and attached here) for code, which also agrees
>with standard Java code conventions.
>
>btw, whats most popular IDE for Axis dev community? :-) I'm a big fan
>of Eclipse.

You're not alone :-)

Ias

RE: [axis2] Code commentary