Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Ian Holsman <ia...@holsman.net> on 2010/12/16 19:54:55 UTC

Plans for the 0.22 Release

Hi Guys.

how are we going with the 0.22 release.

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net
PH: +1-703 879-3128 AOLIM: ianholsman Skype:iholsman

We are not afraid of the truth, in fact we plan on taking the truth out for a nice meal while we persuade it to adopt our views

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Tom White <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, to get HADOOP-6685 resolved,
> from my point of view the main thing to sort out are the modularity
> concerns that I and others have raised, so that serializations are
> pluggable and don't add potentially incompatible libraries onto the
> user's classpath.

The serializers are already completely pluggable. If you want to propose a
plan for reducing the number of jars on the user's task classpath that might
be interesting. Clearly, it would be a separate jira, since it has nothing
to do with the serialization interface.

-- Owen

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
[Sending this again as my original post didn't make it to the list for
some reason. Can't see it in the moderation queue either.]

I don't personally see HADOOP-6685 as a blocker for a 0.22 release,
since there is a lot of value in there already that has not been
released yet, such as security. However, to get HADOOP-6685 resolved,
from my point of view the main thing to sort out are the modularity
concerns that I and others have raised, so that serializations are
pluggable and don't add potentially incompatible libraries onto the
user's classpath.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
My question is

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On 12/17/2010 02:34 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> It could be a zero-option plan - remove dependencies both for Avro and
> ProtocolBuffers out into libraries, similar to schedulers.

I'd be fine with removing Avro from the mapreduce user's classpath.
It's currently an unused option for RPC, and is used server-side on the
jobtracker.  It could be removed from the user classpath today without
loss of critical functionality.

Doug

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Owen, Doug, Tom

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
This is great! Thanks, Nigel.

I haven't seen the feature freeze for 0.22 formally announced.
May be it worth confirming it now by setting the start day, as of yesterday?

--Konstantin

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net>.
Thanks Nige.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Ken Walker <Ke...@ca.ibm.com>.
Not sure what state this issue is in, would be nice for 0.22

I don't see it in the lists below.  It's a bit of a blocker running on
non-Sun (Oracle) JREs.

 Ken (K.N.)                                  2670 Queensview
 Walker                                     Drive

 J9 Java                                     Ottawa, Ontario K2B
 Class                                      8K1
 Libraries
 Lead

 Java                                        Canada
 Technology
 Centre

 IBM
 Software
 Group

 Phone:     +1-613-356-5021

 e-mail:    ken_walker@ca.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |general@hadoop.apache.org                                                                                                                         |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |2010/12/21 02:26 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release                                                                                                                    |

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net>.
On Dec 17, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> You meant to say "...to be the release manager for 22 without 6685?", didn't you?

Yes..
It's been a long day ;-(

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net>.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Dec 16, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> While it may be critical, I still don't understand why we couldn't
> release without it, and carry on the discussion.
> Putting so much emphasis and pressure on this issue is unwarranted.

It took months to stabilize 0.21 and it took a lot of Tom's time.
H-6685 is important to me and needs to be addressed to move the
project forward.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net>.
On Dec 17, 2010, at 6:15 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>> how are we going with the 0.22 release.
>
> Progress has been blocked because HADOOP-6685 is still blocked. I feel that HADOOP-6685 is critical for Hadoop and don't see much point in working on a 0.22 release without it.

While it may be critical, I still don't understand why we couldn't release without it, and carry on the discussion.
Putting so much emphasis and pressure on this issue is unwarranted.

Everyone who has discussed this patch has said it isn't critical to hadoop, and It's holding up everything else 0.22 is going to bring.
There are now 4 separate companies who have released their own 0.20 version because of the delay on our releasing...
Delaying this release another 2-3 months for a single patch seems a bit extreme to me.

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Dec 16, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> how are we going with the 0.22 release.

Progress has been blocked because HADOOP-6685 is still blocked. I feel
that HADOOP-6685 is critical for Hadoop and don't see much point in
working on a 0.22 release without it. In particular, HADOOP-6685