Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2004/12/20 20:22:00 UTC

Logging configuration XML schema (was Re: [RESULT][VOTE])

On Dec 20, 2004, at 8:48 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

>> I still owe the list an iteration on an XML schema for the
>> http://logging.apache.org namespace.  I assume that I should file a
>> bug report on this when ready.  Any suggestions on the appropriate
>> location in the hierarchy?  I think docs/logging.xsd would probably
>> be best.
>
> How about 'http://logging.apache.org/dtd/configuration.xsd'  ?

Sorry, I was suggesting a location in the CVS, not a URL to locate the
schema or a namespace URI for the schema.  However, it would probably
be good to pick all three.  My suggestions would be:

Namespace: http://logging.apache.org
Location: http://logging.apache.org/configuration.xsd
CVS location: docs/configuration.xsd

>> The existing log4j.dtd is in a couple of places (tests,
>> src/java/org/apache/log4j/xml), none of which is ideal.
>
> tests/?
>
> AFAIK, log4j.dtd can only be found in src/java/org/apache/log4j/xml.

I did a search on my workspace and I thought I saw it appear in
multiple places.  I was either mistaken or it got copied during the
build process.

>>  and if it were to be closest to the code that implements it it would
>> be org/apache/log4j/joran.
>
> The location can be worked out later.
>
> Keep in mind that while the XML schema will help prevent and spot
> errors, it should not prevent users from introducing new rules or
> stand in the way of with implicit actions (sub-component
> configuration.)

When I commit it, I'll need a CVS location.  Since it is not really
part of the code base, but a documentation of an input format, I'd
likely put it under the doc tree.  With an appropriate style
declaration, it could be even viewed in most browsers.  Where it fits
on the http://logging.apache.org web site could be determined later.

Re: Logging configuration XML schema (was Re: [RESULT][VOTE])

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 08:22 PM 12/20/2004, Curt Arnold wrote:

>On Dec 20, 2004, at 8:48 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>

>>>I still owe the list an iteration on an XML schema for the
>>>http://logging.apache.org namespace.  I assume that I should file a bug
>>>report on this when ready.  Any suggestions on the appropriate location
>>>in the hierarchy?  I think docs/logging.xsd would probably be best.
>>
>>How about 'http://logging.apache.org/dtd/configuration.xsd'  ?
>
>Sorry, I was suggesting a location in the CVS, not a URL to locate the
>schema or a namespace URI for the schema.  However, it would probably be
>good to pick all three.  My suggestions would be:
>
>Namespace: http://logging.apache.org
>Location: http://logging.apache.org/configuration.xsd

OK to the above two.

>CVS location: docs/configuration.xsd

docs/ contains mostly generated docs. It is not a dependency of src/. See
also below.

How about ./src/o/a/l/xml or ./src/o/a/l/joran?

>When I commit it, I'll need a CVS location.  Since it is not really part
>of the code base, but a documentation of an input format, I'd likely put
>it under the doc tree.  With an appropriate style declaration, it could be
>even viewed in most browsers.  Where it fits on the
>http://logging.apache.org web site could be determined later.

OK, I had not considered the 'documentation of an input format' aspect of
this. I was only thinking from the 'verification at run-time' angle.
Doesn't log4j.xsd need to be part of log4.jar to allow offline
configuration? In which case shouldn't the 'verification at run-time' angle
take priority?

--
Ceki Gülcü

   The complete log4j manual: http://qos.ch/log4j/