Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2013/12/07 01:59:01 UTC

On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem

We've been systematically updating our customers from Tomcat 7.0.25 to
7.0.47 this week, after we've determined that our webapp runs just fine
on 47, and 47 runs just fine on AS/400s.

Until now.

We have one customer box on which, if you launch Tomcat 7.0.25, it works
just fine. But if you try to launch 7.0.47 instead, it crashes on
takeoff, with this error message (directory name changed to protect the
innocent):

> qsh: 001-0018 Error found running command /foo/tomcat/bin/startup.sh. Permission denied.

Both of the Tomcat versions are within what I'm calling "foo"; I'm
swapping them in and out by changing the tomcat directory of the one I
want active to "tomcat," and the other to "tomcat.new" or "tomcat.bak."
The authorities look exactly the same, from one to the other, on the two
Tomcat directories, on the corresponding objects within the two
directories, and on the corresponding objects within their respective
bin directories.

The only difference is ownership of objects: we have two accounts on
this particular box, and 7.0.25 is owned by the account I'm not using
today. But if ownership were the problem, then I would expect 47 to work
and 25 to crash on takeoff.

For now, I've got that customer back on 7.0.25, but we've already found
that 7.0.47 seems to work a good deal better, so I want to figure out
what's the matter here.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Touchtone Corporation

Re: On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/12/7 James H. H. Lampert <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>:
> We've been systematically updating our customers from Tomcat 7.0.25 to
> 7.0.47 this week, after we've determined that our webapp runs just fine on
> 47, and 47 runs just fine on AS/400s.
>
> Until now.
>
> We have one customer box on which, if you launch Tomcat 7.0.25, it works
> just fine. But if you try to launch 7.0.47 instead, it crashes on takeoff,
> with this error message (directory name changed to protect the innocent):
>
>> qsh: 001-0018 Error found running command /foo/tomcat/bin/startup.sh.
>> Permission denied.

The above error is printed by the shell, before Tomcat (java) even launches.
Check your permissions.

Note that if the logs directory is not writable, you wouldn't have any
logs even if Tomcat crashes.

> Both of the Tomcat versions are within what I'm calling "foo"; I'm swapping
> them in and out by changing the tomcat directory of the one I want active to
> "tomcat," and the other to "tomcat.new" or "tomcat.bak." The authorities
> look exactly the same, from one to the other, on the two Tomcat directories,
> on the corresponding objects within the two directories, and on the
> corresponding objects within their respective bin directories.

Just wondering, what do you mean by "objects"?  Files?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

James,

On 12/6/13, 7:59 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> We've been systematically updating our customers from Tomcat 7.0.25
> to 7.0.47 this week, after we've determined that our webapp runs
> just fine on 47, and 47 runs just fine on AS/400s.
>
> Until now.
>
> We have one customer box on which, if you launch Tomcat 7.0.25, it
>  works just fine. But if you try to launch 7.0.47 instead, it
> crashes on takeoff, with this error message (directory name changed
> to protect the innocent):
>
>> qsh: 001-0018 Error found running command
>> /foo/tomcat/bin/startup.sh. Permission denied.
>
> Both of the Tomcat versions are within what I'm calling "foo"; I'm
> swapping them in and out by changing the tomcat directory of the
> one I want active to "tomcat," and the other to "tomcat.new" or
> "tomcat.bak." The authorities look exactly the same, from one to
> the other, on the two Tomcat directories, on the corresponding
> objects within the two directories, and on the corresponding
> objects within their respective bin directories.

All the way up to root? I'm not sure about AS/400, but if a user does
not have execute privileges for all directories from the root down to
where the binary/script is, they can't execute it.

> The only difference is ownership of objects: we have two accounts
> on this particular box, and 7.0.25 is owned by the account I'm not
>  using today. But if ownership were the problem, then I would
> expect 47 to work and 25 to crash on takeoff.
>
> For now, I've got that customer back on 7.0.25, but we've already
> found that 7.0.47 seems to work a good deal better, so I want to
> figure out what's the matter here.

Can you give us some "proof" that all the permissions are the same,
etc? I've often found that while preparing a message to this very list
with a question about why something doesn't work, the mere assembly of
all that information in one place leads me to the solution and I don't
even have to post.

- -chris

Re: On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
> Can you confirm that qsh is telling you it can't actually run
> /foo/tomcat/bin/startup.sh because of a permissions problem, or is it
> that /foo/tomcat/bin/startup.sh *is* running and something it's trying
> to do is failing?
>
> Does it fail when running from the command-line, or from some
> scheduled job, startup script, etc.?

As I recall from Friday, I got the same error message whether I ran it
from my STRTOMCAT CL program (which, among other things, finds and
selects the best available JVM on the box, and sets up environment
variables to avoid the need to set them in catalina.sh or the preferred
setenv.sh, before submitting it as a batch job), or from a QShell
command line (which is not an especially useful way to run it, given
that it would come crashing down around its knees as soon as I exit QShell).

But that doesn't tell me anything, one way or the other. And neither
does the audit journal entry for the authority problem (it might tell
somebody else what was going wrong, but not me).

And yet, as I just posted, changing the owner of the entire subtree,
something that one would expect (especially given the user profile under
which I'm signed on) to either have no effect at all, or to break a
working Tomcat, caused it to start working as if nothing had ever been
wrong. Which leaves me more puzzled than ever.

--
JHHL

Re: On one particular box, Tomcat 7.0.25 runs just fine, but 7.0.47 crashes on takeoff -- some authority problem

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.